Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Opinion On Authenticity - Morgans

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 321Next Topic  
United States
30 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2020  4:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Buffalo78 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So there is a local auction coming up. Long-time reputable auctioneer that handles all manner of items including monthly coin sales. They have posted pictures and there are some Morgans I am interested in. While it is a big time auctioneer, they always say items are sold as-is. They have posted their pictures as they always do and for whatever reason, the two 92-CC's just look a little off to me, particularly the date numerals when comparing to many pictures on the PCGS app. Maybe its just me. I will be able to visually inspect in-person on the day of the sale. Certainly I can see defects (which they have) but just wanted opinions on apparent authenticity. Clearly the 89-CC is cleaned. I am most interested in the 93-CC which to me best passes the smell test...I know the pictures are not the best but they are decent. Thanks in advance!

Pillar of the Community
United States
2841 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2020  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On photo of coin #1, my first thought was Chinese counterfeit because of look and toning. The coin has more correct than wrong. The date is a far date and the CC is a titled left that were both used on the 92CC. The wear is consistent on both side to about vf25. I believe the is genuine. The other 3 appear to be genuine, but I did not look at them in any detail.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9564 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2020  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first one looks highly suspect. These are high dollar pieces to guys like me. No way I'd pay what these cost from those images.
ANA #R3154474
United States
30 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2020  07:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buffalo78 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the feedback Slider. I agree the toning on the first one raised a flag. Also the shape of the curl on the 2 just looks off. All photos I can find show more of a ball on the end of the curl.....but again resolution on these photos are not the best. I am certain if any of these are not authentic that it is a one-off. Again, this is a very experienced auctioneer selling a single owner collection of over 300 lots. If one (or more) are not genuine then it had likely fooled the owner of the collection for some time as well. Certainly none of these coins would I purchase from these pics alone (e.g. Ebay) being raw but as mentioned it is an in-person auction so I will get to closely inspect. With the Covid deal there have been a good number of nice estate auctions over the course of the past year that has allowed me to complete a majority of the Morgan series. Prices at in-person sales have been buyer friendly on key dates even when internet bidding is offered as the poor quality of photos (and normal internet buyer premiums) tend to suppress the online bid. As mentioned I am most interested in the 93-CC which appears to be in the low-end range of Fine. Two lines in the cotton bolls just discernable. The first of the 92-CCs looks nice if I can get comfortable with it and I would pull the trigger if it went for the right price. The cleaning on the 89-CC is a turn-off.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4007 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2020  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let us know how it turns out.
Pillar of the Community
United States
725 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2020  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I'd give them a magnet test and weigh them, but the appear to be OK to me.
(when weighing, don't forget to add the weight of the U-DO-IT and staples...)
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 321Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05