Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Filthy Franklin Half Dollars

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 1,556Next Topic
Page: of 3
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  06:41 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mike33 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello

I'd like to make these more presentable.

Would acetone clean these up? Or something else to get rid of the black nastiness?

thanks

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18429 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  07:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All quite worn. Bell lines gone.
Due to the lower grade, a cleaning won't add any value, but won't loose any value, either.

At least, there is no risk. Nothing wrong with making them more presentable in this case, if you wish.

If they were mine, I would just throw them in my 90% silver stash.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38895 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  07:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. What is your end goal with them? Rule one is never clean coins,it lowers any potential premium.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15189 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  07:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You could dip them in a Silver dip and it will more than likely do away with all the black spots but why bother unless you just want to see them super clean . They are worn common dates and mints Like sel_691 says either way they belong in the junk Silver box , unless you want to put together a circulated Franklin half set ,then forget about the dip .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  07:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mike33 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just want them to look better. No plan to sell or scrap. I don't have a lot of silver coins and they'd look better without all the black stuff on them

Thanks

Pillar of the Community
United States
3060 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  08:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yotie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
put em in your pocket for a couple of days is an option

ps I didnt say it was a good option.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38895 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
e-Z-est coin dip. If that doesn't do it just polish them.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56786 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hate to suggest dipping, but I guess it will improve the appearance.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3890 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  09:49 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The two D mints are just ugly circulated coins ,
and not much is going to help them .
1961 Philly looks like it is fairly lustrous
under all that goo, at least on my desk top .
Soak it in a small amount Sudsy Ammonia
in a glass or ceramic container ,
do not RUB , WIPE or Polish the Coin.
After about an hour in the Ammonia wash it off with distilled water
if you have it or warm tap water .
Show us a picture or two afterwards .
You are not going to damage anything .
If you don't have Sudsy ammonia, just use Windex .
No need to spend money on Coin Dip .
Have fun experimenting!
Edited by Pacificoin
01/05/2021 09:52 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9518 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
e-Z-est coin dip.

Not a dipper myself, but e-Z-est is probably the best stuff to use on silver coins. Sudsy Ammonia or Windex might even be a much better suggestion above. Never did that.
I've done what you want to do though.
Dip is the key word, and it might improve the appearance more to your liking. A soaking or rubbing the stuff into a coin will result in an obvious disaster.
These are not ugly to me. Never met a Franklin I didn't like except a poorly polished, damaged, scratched or over dipped coin.
All yours are common dates.
Try dipping the ugliest one first with the most wear in e-Z-est at the sink. Rinse it immediately under the running water, then pat dry with a paper towel or cotton cloth.
If some of the ugly remains, it might be best to settle for that. You'll see.
I know you're gonna dip it again.
You won't be able to help yourself. LOL
You'll have "dipped" coins now.
Do not dip important coins. You'll end up with significant loss in value.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
01/05/2021 11:15 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2935 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Below is an example of a dipped Franklin in eZest. This coin came out of my silver stacking stash. The common date has some rim dings. I dipped the coin in eZest about 10 seconds and rinsed in distilled water. The eZest will remove the dark toning. You can see the coin before and after the dip in eZest. I prefer coins original and not messed with, but once in a while I find something in AU or MS that will benefit from being dipped. eZest is an acid and you should not put your fingers in the liquid.

Edited by Slider23
01/05/2021 12:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
1110 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My suggestion..............Don't touch them, leave them as is.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6341 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Carry them in your pocket and give them back their natural circulated shine.
Valued Member
United States
392 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2021  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think worn coins that look too shiny look odd. How did they get all that wear and stay silver? Obviously dipped. If you dip, I suggest multiple shorter dips. And mix dip 50/50 with distilled water. Take a look after each dip. You may get to point where you have removed a lot of the ugliness without all of the natural toning.

A 10 minute soak in between in acetone might also help. Some of that stuff might be gunk or tar rather than just toning.
Pillar of the Community
United States
719 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2021  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OMG! More than one of y'all suggested dipping them? What, y'all trying to give me heart failure by suggesting dipping, after so many of y'all have chastized me for saying that? LOL I'd dip them or just throw them in my silver pile. There are soo many inexpensive MS65 and up out there it's not worth messing with cleaning them, that is. I have a complete set of Franklins in mid-hi MS, only a couple cost me much $$. I do love the franklins!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18429 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2021  12:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It doesn't really matter in terms of value
what you do with silver value only coins,
the silver value will remain.

Do nothing is the easiest, and just become a 90% silver stasher. I have about 1/2 kilogram of such coins.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 1,556Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05