Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Welcome To 2021 - January RCM Releases

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 1,632Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
Canada
472 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2021  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Check jimper's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jimper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm just fearful that a selectively gold-plated version will appear in 2022, and then a rhodium plus gold-plated version in 2023, and in 2024...

I hope not.That would just kill the 2 minted. At first I thought it was only the date change, then realized it was also the finish. So I picked up both of them. That's where I draw the line on them.
"If you lose it here, you're in a world of hurt"
Pillar of the Community
United States
943 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2021  12:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see much of a difference in buying different versions of Peace dollars (2020 & 2021, so far) as buying the 'single' and gold plated SD's types every year. Now if they become just a 'date' change every year; that might be a sign to pass, but I'm interested until then.

I'm actually adding both BU and proof versions of my current SD's. All were supposed to be proofs, but I picked up a few BU's by mistake and now 'need' both types for a 'full' set.
Edited by atticguy
01/08/2021 12:25 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
943 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2021  12:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PS: Are release dates out yet?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5042 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2021  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't see much of a difference in buying different versions of Peace dollars (2020 & 2021, so far) as buying the 'single' and gold plated SD's types every year. Now if they become just a 'date' change every year; that might be a sign to pass, but I'm interested until then.

I completely understand your point - it's a good one IMO.

I guess, for me, it has so far come down to "multiple varieties of a one-year commemorative piece" vs. the potential for multiple varieties of a new series.

When I first read about the Peace dollar becoming an annual coin series (back in 2019), I had assumed that it would be a new RCM bullion coin struck in standard relief and that the 2019 UHR Peace/Liberty medal and 2020 UHR Peace dollar were special releases to kick the new bullion series off. I didn't figure on a new, ongoing UHR collector coin series. My jury is still out!

Quote:
I'm actually adding both BU and proof versions of my current SD's. All were supposed to be proofs, but I picked up a few BU's by mistake and now 'need' both types for a 'full' set.

When I started my SD set, I purchased just the BU coins. When the RCM began issuing limited/special edition SDs only in proof, I decided that I would go after all of the proof coins as well to keep a complete collection.

I wish you the best on your pursuit of a "full set" of SDs!

Quote:

I believe next Tuesday (Jan 12th) is the day for general release of the January issues..

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
01/08/2021 10:34 am
Valued Member
Canada
472 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2021  10:32 am  Show Profile   Check jimper's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jimper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Yes, for Gold Members and higher ATM.
"If you lose it here, you're in a world of hurt"
Valued Member
Canada
421 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2021  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Not sure if the question is order or ship dates but I ordered a few items... some are scheduled to ship Jan 19, The SD is Feb 9 and the Proof Set in March.

And the $200 Gold Relics of New France is the first to sell out... Showing "Awaiting Stock"
Pillar of the Community
Canada
614 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This is a regular edition (uncolored proof). Both price and mintage went up (59.95->69.95 and 25000 -> 30000).

I am really disappointed with the unjustified price increase on the SDs. Not that the increased mintage matters much - these will not sell out.

IMHO the design is just OK, nothing great.
Valued Member
Canada
421 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
unjustified price increase on the SDs

Don't know that I agree... while I do agree that the RCM charges way too much of a premium for their Silver NCLT the Jan 12 bullion price for Silver in 2020 and 2021 has increased 37%. The increase in the price of the SD is only 17% while the size and composition of the coin has not changed. The Proof set has not changed in price... Overpriced... yes but less so in 2021 vs. 2020 based on the price of bullion.
Pillar of the Community
United States
943 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Checked the RCM website today and found some of the items listed on this post are now available; sort-of.

One item I bought was the silver proof set, but it evidently isn't available for shipping until March.

I also 'joined' a 3-item subscription for the Classic Uncirculated set, the Bluenose Silver Dollar, and the Specimen Set. The only item available now for shipping is the UNC Set. The SD won't be mailed until February, and the Specimen Set until (hopefully) March also.

I really wish that any items listed on the website were actually ready NOW.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
614 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FWIW let's look at silver another way:

Jan 12 2011 spot silver - CAD$29.20
Jan 12 2021 spot silver = CAD$32.52
Ten year change = +11.4%

2011 Parks Canada Proof SD = $55.95 issue price
2021 Bluenose Proof SD = $69.95 issue price
Ten year change = +25.0%
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jaymiles7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I ordered the gold coin as a gift for my daughter. I also was a little disappointed in the price increase, but she's a big blue nose fan so I did the payment schedule to kind of drag it out while I debate about it more, assuming it would sell out and I'd have FOMO if I didn't purchase it. And being stateside that's much easier than returning it right now.

I'm a little surprised that it isn't "75% sold" or anything yet. What do you think is the reason, cost increase? Production increase? Other changes? I thought something iconic as Bluenose would help it sell as well, but if everyone knows it's a bluenose year maybe they're holding out?
Valued Member
Canada
421 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jaymiles7

Quote:
I'm a little surprised that it isn't "75% sold" or anything yet. What do you think is the reason,

I think there are a number of things that are contributing to this. The $100 Gold is a long term annual release but this year, it has changed significantly... from 14kt to 99.99% pure, from 27mm to 20mm. For those who are collecting the series, this is a perfect inflection point to determine whether to continue the collection.

While you are correct that the Bluenose is iconic, at 20mm, it is pretty small and I think folks may be holding off to see it in hand. As a Canadian purchaser, the purity change allows the coin to be sold tax free... at least GST/HST free... which is a minimum 5% reduction in direct cost to purchasers...

The increase in mintage from 1,200 to 2,000 and the increase in price from $800CAD to $1,100CAD will also factor into this. This represents a 37% increase in price when the price of gold has only increased by 21% (Jan1 - Jan1) though for folks with GST/HST reduction the net increase is reduced from 37% to a range of 22%-32%. Essentially, it looks as if the RCM have tried to absorb the purity driven tax savings as revenue in markets like Ontario and the Maritime provinces.. for the rest of us and international purchasers, it is just a cash grab.

I have ordered one but am prepared to return if it doesn't appeal when in hand.
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jaymiles7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@vonigohcr

I agree that those are the biggest factors in slowing the sale. As a collector I'd like to see them not do it to what I consider an iconic piece, it'd be like changing things in 2017...but from a business stand point, it makes sense that they do changes on a year like this year. And I think we can all agree this was a business decision.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5042 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did the 2010 V-E Day gold $100 coin sell out in 2020? If it did, how quickly did it happen? (Just looking for a comparison to this year's model.)

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
Canada
421 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Did the 2010 V-E Day gold $100 coin sell out in 2020? If it did, how quickly did it happen? (Just looking for a comparison to this year's model.)

I don't believe so. When I look at the "My Collection" page, it isn't flagged as sold out when others are.

Regarding my point earlier... In Ontario which has 13% HST, Last Year's coin cost $904 as tax is applied to gold less than 99.5% purity. This year's coin will cost $1,100 or a 22% increase... almost identical to the appreciation in the cost of gold. Where I live in BC, last year's coin cost $896 (5% GST + 7% PST) With the move to 99.99%, the GST is no longer applicable however the PST will still apply so my cost is $1,177 or a 31% increase. Since Ontario is the most populous province, it stands to reason that the majority of the Canadian sales would go to Ontario... The Maritime provinces are all at 15% HST so they benefit even more than Ontario. It is the rest of Canada and international purchasers that don't benefit from the purity move.

Since the $100 was the only 14Kt product left and if they can't sell out at 1,200 items, it makes sense to change it up and use a more common purity where unsold items can easily be melted down without the need to refine back to a 99.99%. All gold out of the RCM for Canadian coins is now either 4-Nines or 5-Nines pure. I don't know if the RCM provides 14kt for any other mint but it doesn't make sense to retain a single production line for a declining product.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 1,632Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05