Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Welcome To 2021 - January RCM Releases

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 2,319Next Topic
Page: of 3
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jaymiles7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@vonigohcr @commems
And few things are as iconic in the Maritimes as the Bluenose so with the additional savings you would think it's probably a bit more popular.
There's no way to say this without being insensitive....but I feel like the RCM has run it's course with the coins honoring WW2. At least for a few years. So I'm just spitballing here. Perhaps that's why 2020 didn't sell out? Maybe people see that and think they have time to purchase the 2021?
The more I sit on this, the more I'm comfortable with the purchase. I do like all the changes except the size. But you either said (or pieced together) the rationale behind that. Again I haven't seen the coin though, returns from the states aren't free so it makes sense to do the payment plan like I did, so I have time to debate it without having to look for it on the secondary market if it sells out before I buy it.
I'd love to know your thoughts once you receive yours and if you're keeping it.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
620 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  06:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also agree with the above comments:
- The format change is a big showstopper for those of us who use coin trays.
- Price and mintage increases are factors (still trying to get my head around those).
- People (investors) who demand five 9s buy other products elsewhere due to excessive premiums.

We will know by year-end how these changes play out...
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jaymiles7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With a weekend to think about it without work distractions, I'm leaning towards cancelling my payment plan on this. And the biggest factor for me....size. I can deal with the price increase, begrudgingly. I can deal with the mintage increase, begrudgingly. I can even deal with not liking the design (might grow on me). But I'm not a fan of the 20. I think that's possibly my deal breaker. Well, obviously everything else plays a factor. But that most definitely puts it over the top.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5223 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jaymiles7: Do you collect Canada's 10-cent coins with the Bluenose? Those coins, at 18.03 mm, are a little smaller than the new gold coin (about 10% smaller). Maybe, in hand, the size won't be as much of an issue for you?

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
01/18/2021 11:13 am
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jaymiles7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@commems I do, which is why at first I was ok with it being 20MM. But I'm starting to change my mind. I guess the best way I can explain it is this:
If I'm going to spend over a grand, I want it to be something of a decent size. And if I have to spend even more, say $1500 for it to be 27MM, then OK, so be it. That's where gold is today, ok. But don't make it smaller to try to keep the price down.
Now I know I'm just ONE person, and clearly their target audience here is 2000 people and not just one. But that's where I'm at.
I guess after a couple of up and down years and so so years, I was hoping the Bluenose collection would start off as good as the 150 collection, and I was just overwhelmed with January. (Which I know, can't judge the year off of JANUARY) But after the way 2020 was, couldn't they give us some glimmer of hope?!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5223 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jaymiles7: I fully understand. We all have to collect what makes us happy and by our own definitions of what becomes part of our collection.

I hope that future RCM 2021 Bluenose releases are more to your liking! You will likely have multiple coins to choose from!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
620 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  05:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I hope that future RCM 2021 Bluenose releases are more to your liking! You will likely have multiple coins to choose from!

Is there any info on what is coming? A 2021 Bluenose circulation commemorative dime would be excellent provided RCM can distribute in a reasonable way (i.e. no money grabs!).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5223 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is there any info on what is coming?

Nothing specific, just this from the RCM's web page for the Bluenose silver dollar. It gave me the impression that there will be Bluenose coins beyond the January release (which seems focused on the design/launch phase).

Start at the beginning! This proof dollar represents the first chapter of a story that continues on multiple coins in 2021. It's part of a celebration of the Bluenose journey, from design to launch and throughout its racing years, as well as its enduring legacy.

Pillar of the Community
United States
961 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2021  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got an email from the RCM today stating that the Classic Uncirculated Set I bought on January 12th was shipped out today, but I shouldn't expect delivery until February 22nd.

Still waiting to hear news of the Proof Bluenose Silver Dollar and the Silver Proof Set.
Valued Member
Canada
432 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2021  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@atticguy

I have received the Classic Uncirculated set and the $100 gold the SD said it shipped yesterday so I anticipate it by mid next week and Proof Set is still "processing" with an anticipated March 9 delivery. Of interest, I also ordered the specimen set from the February release and it is being shipped with the SD.

As another note, I really like the Bluenose launch image on the $100 gold but I am disappointed in the size. It is not as disappointing as the Coleville set from last year which are tiny but there is a clear difference in the hand and eye appeal regardless of the quality of the image/engraving. One difference I didn't anticipate is the change in colour. When looking at the 2020 and 2021 coins side by side, the 14K gold/silver alloy in the 2020 has a distinctly lighter shade of gold than the 2021 99.99% pure gold coin. That is a welcome change... I am still on the fence though over the size decrease. I am trying to get a good image of them side by side and will post when I do.

Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 2,319Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05