Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Couple People Said To Take Better Pictures So I Tried To.... (1993 Quarter)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 260Next Topic  

United States
20 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  7:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kevin1971 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I tried to show you different pictures of the coins.... people have given me the answer saying that my coin was spooned so I took a quarter that was sitting in mud for some years & used that to see what would happen if I spooned the coin & what I came up with is spooning a quarter makes it have uneven marks the coin & you can see in the picture..my coin has smooth edges... someone said dryer coin... but the pictures I seen of dryer coin's they look like they were in a washer instead of a dryer...I can show you the same mark that's in the 1999 D Quarter that's exactly like mine... which to me it came from the same press machine when they made the coins.

*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2635 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kevin1971 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the picture I have on here of the front of the coin it looks like the brown in the coin might be rust but it's not... that's the copper because you can see it when you look in a magnifying glass... you can see all the details that shows that all the answers people keep saying doesn't match up with the way my coin is
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kevin1971 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Big Silver... thanks but I looked at pictures of dryer coin's...none of them look like my coin

this is some pictures of the 1999 D Quarter...if you look closely at the top of the rim there's a little dent in it.. the same dent that's in mine but mine is at the bottom of the coin ...they are almost exactly alike but 6 year's apart and have different mint prints... so the same dryer made these coins just like each other and put the same dent in them... like I tried to explain...if you looked at the coin in a magnifying glass you can see that that little dent happened when it was pressed in the mint
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9280 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I looked at pictures of dryer coin's...none of them look like my coin

Maybe yours just didn't spend as much time in a dryer as the ones you are comparing it to. Or it was tooled in some type of rotating lathe-like machine?
Edited by TNG
01/11/2021 8:11 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
681 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your coin shows no damage from being a dryer coin. However it shows a smooth edge from being hammered and rolled smooth - possibly someone was starting to make a ring out of it and quit. It was not minted like that. You have a coin that has damage - PSD/PMD.

EDIT: Post Strike Damage/Post Mint Damage
Edited by Rothery
01/11/2021 8:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4516 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We say a dryer coin, you disagree, but in the end it doesn't matter what caused the damage, it just IS post mint damage ( PMD) with no premium.

ça va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
United States
37088 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  04:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It did not leave the U.S. mint like that so, PMD of some sort.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
2705 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with PMD, it looks like the rim was rolled to smooth the edges.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20975 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Makes absolutely no difference what happened to it. This cannot happen during the minting process so it is not an error.
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kevin1971 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wish I could show all what my coin looks like when you look at it under a magnifying glass...I believe your answers would be different. Now I just seen a couple answers that said...it couldn't of left the mint like that... well how did all the other coins that people find that left the mint..why did those leave the mint? Do any of you work at a mint & are in charge of what comes out of there because what I found is they made 2 mistakes because I found a quarter that's exactly like mine just 6 year's apart... I've been studying all the things people are saying but so far I haven't found a match... other than the other 1999 D Quarter on here... that has the same marks from when they were made so they came out of the same press mint machine. Until I find the right reason why my coin is like this I'll keep looking thanks
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2635 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that you misunderstood. When people said "it couldn't have left the mint that way" they don't mean due to quality control at the mint. They mean (and some said explicitly) that there is no way that the coin was minted that way. Therefore, it is PMD and has no premium.
Study the coin minting process and you will discover that your explanation of what you have is non-sensical.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2112 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I found a quarter that's exactly like mine just 6 year's apart...

I have no doubt. People and machines alter coins all the time. In fact, people find and post them here on a near daily basis.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53455 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OP Kevin's coin is definitely PMD, agree.

Kevin -

to the CCF!
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 260Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05