Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This A Buffalo Nickel Broadstrike?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 186Next Topic  

United States
25 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  8:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jadenusa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Came across this specimen, a very thin rim along the entire obverse and reverse. Is this an example of a broadstrike error or something else? Thank you

Learn More...
United States
18203 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jaden, can you please post the diameter of this coin? Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53455 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Full pics of both sides, please.

to the CCF!
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jadenusa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spence, I was told there would be no math?

Looks like 21mm on the nose. My scope won't do a full view, but I'll try with the loupe
Learn More...
United States
18203 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jaden, no where in the CCF terms of use does it state no math.

Since this coin is exactly the correct diameter, I'm struggling to see how it could be broadstruck. Let's see what the others think.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
25 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jadenusa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spence I could have been mistaken, I was using the Mrs. ruler looking through the scope. Here's the full shot, front/back. The rim seems to be uniform on both sides.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4377 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it might be a former Encased Coin
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  07:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jadenusa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Re-measured last night, 21.25mm or there abouts. Might try to scan it and measure digitally today. On the encasing, I'd wonder why someone would encase a lower quality coin like this? Otherwise is it worth sending off for verification on a broadstrike? Thanks all!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53455 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think Adam calls it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4377 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By encased, I mean put in a "lucky nickel" or similar encasement. These encasements damage the rim of the coin permanently. As such, low grade common coins are usually the only coins ever encased in this manner. If you google search "encased nickel" you will see what I mean.

There's no need to send it anywhere for authentication, it would be a waste of money. I can assure you it is not a mint error. The diameter you measured is 1 thousandth of an inch off from the normal width of a nickel, so I'm inclined to say that the measurement device was off rather than the nickel. Regardless, there's no way a nickel struck out of collar would show only a thousandth of expansion.
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  10:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jadenusa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wild... thanks guys, appreciate the education on it!

I have another coin that's the opposite, super chunky rim. It doesn't look like wear flattening, rather the rim was struck twice. What is that called?

Pillar of the Community
United States
4377 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We would need to see pictures to tell you for sure, but it sounds like it may be a misaligned die. Whenever you get pictures feel free to make another thread!
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 186Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05