Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are Cheap ($20 Or Less) USB Microscopes Any Good For Photographing Coins?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 31 / Views: 738Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member

United States
105 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  12:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add thegrendel to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
For example, eBay item # 182555372387.
I've been having spotty results taking shots of coins with a decent camera in ultra-macro mode.

Has anyone had experience with these cheap microscopes?
Are they useful or just plain garbage?

Thanks.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37679 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
50x-500x is way too much. As low as possible and not more than 200x. I have a $15.00 AmScope that works pretty good.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
Russian Federation
190 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please tell us for what purposes such microscopes are used? I would also buy up to$ 20 on eBay.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1292 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you buy a scope on eBay, make sure it isn't from overseas (China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, etc..) it takes forever to be delivered and if it doesn't work, returning it is a nightmare....
Pillar of the Community
United States
3324 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are many types and some work well while others don't. Only way to know is to find someone who owns one (unlikely) or just buy one and hope for the best.
Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
Valued Member
United States
105 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thegrendel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just got a nifty new digital microscope from eBay. $16 + change, including shipping and tax. The plastic base is garbage, and is unstable, but I more or less fixed it by duct taping it to a heavyweight plastic plate.

eBay item #123963687752

Valued Member
United States
105 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thegrendel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
See also the pic I just posted on my 2003 2 Rupees India doubled die.

Forgot to mention that this came with a cd of driver software for Windows and Android. Probably useless.
I run Linux on my laptop and this microscope is automatically recognized as a generic webcam. Don't need to worry about a driver. I use the "Cheese" program to capture images. Works fine, no problems.
Valued Member
United States
105 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thegrendel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Three more pictures taken with my nifty $16 digital microscope. Both coins dramatic doubled dies from 2010. The one is a 2 Rupees coin from India, the other a 2 Pound UK coin. I believe someone else posted the 2 Pound coin on the foreign error forum a few years ago, but I acquired another example from eBay.

The orange bar on one of the pics is 100 microns (0.1 mm) wide. This gives a crude measurement of spread.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
37679 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suggest you put a filter on your light source.
John1
Valued Member
United States
105 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thegrendel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Being able to filter the light source would be nice, but is not possible with this cheap microscope. The light source is a ring of LEDs and there is no filter holder. Placing a filter on top of the object being photographed would just produce reflections and glare, unfortunately.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7625 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not seeing the design of this USB scope, I can think of one way that might work to filter a set of ring LED bulbs around a lens, even ones inset up a tube scope. Cut out a small ring from a translucent plastic, (milk jug, Tupperware type container, etc.) then slide it into the tube, leaving the middle open for the lens to shoot through.

Just a shot, like I said not knowing which scope you have.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Valued Member
United States
105 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thegrendel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
>> Cut out a small ring from a translucent plastic, (milk jug, Tupperware type container, etc.) then slide it into the tube, leaving the middle open for the lens to shoot through. <<

It's an interesting idea, but not something I'd do. I'll tell you why. I've had a fair amount of experience with photography, and back in the day I was even an offset cameraman in a graphic arts trade shop. The offset camera had a large chunk of optical glass for a lens, and it had a lot of light gathering capacity. It was designed to take filters, and I recall doing a fair number of filter shots. A filter would not much, proportionally, cut into the light entering the lens. This was likewise true of the film cameras I've used. An f1.8 lens is not to be sneered at.

My $16 digital microscope is good enough to do the job, but only just. It has a teeny plastic lens with little light gathering capacity and marginal optical quality. A filter would likely affect that, and not in a good way.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37679 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both of my scopes are that type. I have filters on both of mine. I used white coffee filters,made what looks like a washer. A circle with the middle cut out. You can also do what I do and turn off the on board lights and use a hand held LED flash light with a filter on that.
John1
Pillar of the Community
United States
7625 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I certainly wasn't implying to filter the lens only the harsh LED bulbs. One could still use other lighting from the side, such as Halogen, incandescent, etc. Just trying to cut back on the glare and hot spots on uncirculated coins.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
United States
46 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinchatter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thegrendel. I have seen this microscope on Amazon. I still can't decide. A few that I have seen don't magnify the entire coin. If I was to post a coin, I would like to post the entire coin, first. Then post the area or areas of concern .Is it possible to find a microscope that can do all of that? Please respond. HELP
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37679 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of mine is a Celestron 44302 and it takes full coin pics up to silver dollar size. So does my $20 AmScope.
John1
Page: of 3 Replies: 31 / Views: 738Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05