Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are Cheap ($20 Or Less) USB Microscopes Any Good For Photographing Coins?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 661Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
536 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i love my https://www.amazon.com/Mustcam-Micr...aWNrPXRydWU=

after twicking the light in it 50 bucks not bad

Heck sometimes I wonder why I have my Dslr CAM lol by the way 1964 Lincoln
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37658 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
3rd pic is good, other two have too much glare.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add element47 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I spent about 20 dollars on Amazon on a USB microscope with an adjustable arm and adjustable led light source. It does pretty well with close ups of errors, that kind of thing. And for whole coin photos I bought a Xenovo macro lens from Amazon. It goes on your phone and does really well. I also got a small tripod and bluetooth shutter button to keep the phone from shaking when taking the photo.

Its a lot of trial and error for me though. I'm still learning for sure. I use an all black background, and I use my old Galaxy s7 edge as a dedicated coin camera. Ive really just started trying to work on my photography the past couple months. But the USB microscope helps me a lot when I'm going through rolls looking for errors.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3324 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those mustcam pics are surprisingly good. A bit of diffusion on the LEDs and they could be very good. @Eyez, are you able to take the full coin pic with the camera mounted on the stand, or do you have to move it farther away?
Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37658 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  04:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
element47,
18% gray scale as a background works better. You will need to find a way to filter your light source.
John1
Valued Member
United States
105 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thegrendel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
>> I would like to post the entire coin, first. Then post the area or areas of concern .Is it possible to find a microscope that can do all of that? <<

Maybe, but not a cheap microscope. I don't see that as an issue because you can take a close-up picture of the entire coin with a good camera that has a macro setting, and then take additional pictures of selected areas of the coin with the cheap microscope.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
536 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@rpmpsrpms on stand half way up those where taking at 3mp not the 5mp setting I find the 3 mp setting on pennies are better 5mp for dime and quarters.@John1 yeah was quick ones I took last night just wanted to show basics off how well it did at a basic fast lvl.
Edited by Eyez
02/23/2021 09:42 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
536 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
took a slower take on this to adjust lighting.
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinchatter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John1.... does it also take photos of certain parts of the coin? Or do I need to buy two cameras, one for whole coin and one for certain areas of the coin?
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinchatter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Element47... I am trying to avoid buying something then find out that it doesn't work for me. I will have to return it. I am trying to avoid that. I am trying to work with this iPad
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37658 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  04:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My Celestron 44302 can take full coin pic of a silver dollar coin,I have to put the scope on top of a stack of books to do it though. Generally I use a digital camera for full coin shots and a usb scope for close ups.
John1
United States
12 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add element47 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@john so I looked up 18% grayscale. Am I able to print out a square of that and just use it as a background? Or is there something specific I should use?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37658 Posts
 Posted Today  15H 4M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it was me, I would buy them and not print my own.
John1
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 661Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05