Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1970 Proof Set. I Know This Is PMD But Whats The Cause?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 166Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
95 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  2:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Cecilia Sowinski to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is the 1970 proof set that I found the nickel with a minor stuck through error on it. These coins have never been out of the case which has been airtight from the mint. There is a cloudy blue tone on some of them. What causes this type of toning? Especially when they been encased as well as in the cardboard covering of the case.

Thanks
Cecilia
Edited by Cecilia Sowinski
01/12/2021 3:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
845 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That coin dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whatever was in the air at the mint got trapped with the coins, the blue is oxidization.
My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you!
A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification.
I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://goccf.com/t/387871
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cecilia Sowinski to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh ok, thanks I didn't know that.

Cecilia
Pillar of the Community
United States
848 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This is the 1970 proof set that I found the nickel with a minor stuck through error on it. These coins have never been out of the case which has been airtight from the mint. There is a cloudy blue tone on some of them. What causes this type of toning? Especially when they been encased as well as in the cardboard covering of the case.

These sets are not air tight. Submerge it in water and see what happens.

NO, DON'T SUBMERGE IT ON WATER!

The toning is due to the environment where it was stored. Damp, hot, cold, etc...

Let's see the nickel.
Edited by MOS0239
01/12/2021 3:27 pm
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cecilia Sowinski to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is actually a thread about the nickel a few lines down from this thread.
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cecilia Sowinski to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The title of the thread is 1970 Proof Jefferson nickel. Piece Of Thread Fell Into The Die?
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cecilia Sowinski to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought set coming from the mint were made airtight. Thats news to me that there not. I guess it makes sense that there not but I always assumed they were
Pillar of the Community
United States
848 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Live and learn.
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cecilia Sowinski to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes sir thats what life is all about "learning".
Learn More...
United States
94141 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I thought set coming from the mint were made airtight.
Nope. What is worse* is that the ones made the last twenty years or so are not even sealed. You can open and close them all you want.

* or better when you like to pull them for your albums.

Oh, and in case anyone was wondering, most TPG slabs are not air tight either.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37088 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a chemical reaction to the material the holder is made from. There are "famous" cents that year called bulls eye cents...I think that is what it is called.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 166Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05