Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Identify Medevial Silver Coin France 1108-1137 King Of The Franks ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 142Next Topic  

United States
25 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  3:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ntexasteve to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I been in coins over 40 years, I picked this out of a coin bin at a coin shop.
I had done some research but not 100%
it looked like a French coin dated between 1108-1137
Possible Ruler : Louis VI KING of the FRANKS
the rev : short cross with "O"
I think that is Orleans Mint from France It is hard to be sure.
It is silver coin
Approx. Diameter: 18MM
Weight: 1.0 gram
Thanks for any help STEVE

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
536 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A possible match is Évêché de Valence, around 12th century. Here is the Numista page: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces32125.html
(Turn the second picture 135 degrees clockwise.)
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ntexasteve to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
erafjel, thank you so much,,,,Steve
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4162 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, great work, erafjel. And amazing that was in a coin shop bin

And who would have thought St Apollinaris was patron of not just Ravenna but also Valence!
Edited by tdziemia
01/12/2021 9:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3447 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ntexasteve - Nice coin and a great find! About how long ago did you find that in a bin?

I'm just curious since I've heard some great stories of what used to turn in up in dealers' 25 cent or 50 cent bins ca. 1970-1990. I have been collecting for over 25 years now. And sometimes I marvel at some of the pieces I used to find in dealers' "junk bins" back in the 1990s.
Valued Member
United States
394 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add willieboyd2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These coins might have been minted for Crusaders.

The bishops of Valence had heard about the First Crusade (AD 1096-1099) and that the Crusaders would be crossing their territory.

They minted large quantities of deniers for the Crusaders to use further east.
Large quantities of them have been found in the Crusader territories of Syria and Palestine

Crusaders Bishops of Valence Denier
Billon Silver, 17 mm, 1.19 gm
Struck at Valence approximately AD 1096 to 1099

Obverse:
Angel (The design appears to be a skull and crossbones)
VRBS VALENTIAI (City of Valence)

Reverse:
Cross with circle at lower right
S APOLLINARS (Saint Apollinaire of Valence, AD 453-520)

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies and on Television
The 1949 San Francisco Mexico Peso Restrikes
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 142Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05