Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2000 D Dime, Damage Or Errors?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 139Next Topic  

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  8:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mlynn111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I think it's a 2000 D dime, the year is hard to see. I can't tell if it's a minting error, or natural erosion. What do you guys think?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
8411 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum

It is just damage. The only way an error can occur is during the striking of a coin
and what you have is impossible to have occurred at that time.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mlynn111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you! I just thought it was really weird, the "OF" is completely in tact just misplaced and squished down, and it matches the flat raised spot on the front, so I couldn't really tell if it was just damaged, or not.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4516 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not natural erosion, nor a mint error, it's probably deliberate post mint damage ( PMD).

to the CCF!

ça va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
United States
6846 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you can think of a way to duplicate the look with tools from out in the garage, then someone already beat you to the idea.

The slabbed Half dollar No G farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mlynn111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That makes sense. I'm a newbie to the Coin World, so I don't have a ton of knowledge of these things. I honestly would have never thought of intentional manipulation, just because I can't imagine how you would do that, lol. Thanks guys!
Learn More...
United States
94141 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4377 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was likely not intentional damage, but incidental.

There's a whole world of machinery out there that has the capability to mutilate coins in a similar manner to this
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 139Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05