Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1893 Morgan Dollar "Hobo Carving"

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 258Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
453 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  09:57 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just saw this on eBay this morning. It got 31 bids and sold for $91. I assume that most of the bidders thought they were really scoring since it was carved out of a 1893. I also assume that none of those folks can count, because that bird has 8 tail feathers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1893-morga...124516282518

Pillar of the Community
United States
9668 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i think its an impressive carving. the person that did this was definitely quite talented and very creative
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53726 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most remarkable indeed. Jaw-dropping, really.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20985 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing impressive about it at all, they're struck that way. Just one of the thousands of varieties of these being faked by the Chinese.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2645 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  10:37 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
i think its an impressive carving. the person that did this was definitely quite talented and very creative

Creative - maybe, but this is likely not carved. It can be bought on a Chinese website for $1.53
Valued Member
United States
453 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nothing impressive about it at all, they're struck that way. Just one of the thousands of varieties of these being faked by the Chinese.

I know, that's what surprised me that even if you were fooled into thinking it was a real carving, the tail feathers should have given it away to anyone that knows anything about Morgans, and yet somebody is paying $91 for this $1.50 Chinese trinket.......
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20985 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
and yet somebody is paying $91 for this $1.50 Chinese trinket.......

No they're not.
Pillar of the Community
United States
834 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  1:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
and yet somebody is paying $91 for this $1.50 Chinese trinket.......

Expensive lesson to learn -
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53726 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, I've learned something here!
Valued Member
United States
453 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
bobby131313

Quote:
No they're not.

Well at the time I first posted about this Morgan this morning, that link I included worked and took you right to the "sold" listing page. So either the winning bidder got wise or somebody else turned in that auction and seller to the enforcers at eBay.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20985 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So either the winning bidder got wise or somebody else turned in that auction and seller to the enforcers at eBay.

A little birdie told me the sale was canceled before payment.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9668 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
well, there you...I've never seen one in over 50 yrs but now I know
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 258Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05