Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

17th Century Papal States

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 188Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4254 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  11:16 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A grosso issued during the papacy of Innocent XI (1676 - 1689). Just under 16 mm in diameter, with a weight of only 0.84 of a gram. Evidently silver but I'm in the dark as to its fineness. I just picked this up on a whim as part of a group of coins. I'm guessing that these are not especially sought after here in the U.S. but perhaps are more collectible in Europe. Any thoughts as to a realistic value are welcome.

Colligo ergo sum
Edited by Lucky Cuss
01/13/2021 2:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1106 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Allen Berman wrote the book on these coins so if you can find his book or website you might get better info.
Just guessing it looks like perhaps a $30 coin in the catalog, but not sure about today's market.
Edited by Albert
01/13/2021 6:22 pm
Valued Member
Netherlands
75 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eligius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Krause 17th century: KM382. Highest value given is VF $ 35 (4th edition). Yours is better but has damage on the reverse
Pillar of the Community
United States
4254 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Allen Berman wrote the book on these coins...

Wasn't aware that such existed.

Published 30 years ago, and available copies seem to be fairly expensive.

He does have a website: http://www.bermania.com/

I can't get the link there to this book to work, however.

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
United States
1106 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen and talked with him many times over years. But now there seems to be a downturn in his business dealings.
No doubt due to the virus and probably a lack of public coin shows.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4183 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Berman 2126.

Looking for recent auction sales.

Edit: A recent CNG sale that went for $100. Overall grade similar, but without the defects reverse (I am not sure if this is PMD or a planchet defect). https://www.cNGCoins.com/Lot.aspx?L...IEW_TYPE%3d0

I can also find a sale at Nummus Auction 7 (late 2017) for 40 euro. So, perhaps worth a bit more than those catalog values.
Edited by tdziemia
01/13/2021 5:48 pm
Valued Member
Netherlands
75 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  04:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eligius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Berman (page 25) gives the specification of the grosso as 1.57 grams and 0.917 fine. For the half the fineness would be the same and the weight half, thus 0.785 grams.

The value is given as US$ 30 in VF+ condition.

The damage on your coin, the many small pits, are PMD in my opinion.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 188Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05