Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1858 Canada 10 Cent...thoughts On Grade?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 506Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
498 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  8:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello - here's another pretty thing for your consideration. Curious to know where people would put this grade-wise. Somewhere in the EF-AU range I'm thinking?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
602 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  07:08 am  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice obverse.

I'd have to venture AU58, with only the reverse holding it back from MS due to the line through the date and the marks that look like bubbles under the C in CENTS. Otherwise, I see no wear at all.
Valued Member
Canada
498 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  07:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's clearly an issue with the initial strike but would you say that the sort of smeared (not sure what the right word is) effect along rim at 6 o'clock on the reverse and 12 o'clock on the obverse has an impact? I've seen this effect on a number of coins. Maybe I should create a specific thread about that issue...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1031 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would also say AU-58
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54671 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-58 sounds about right.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3408 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
55 at least.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5535 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU58
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1751 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS. I see no wear. Nice clash.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8279 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those aren't bubbles they are clash marks.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Canada
40 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Levaril to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm kind of curious about the areas that Silver asked about too. On the obverse from about 10 to 1 and on the reverse from about 4 to 8, there is no definition between the upper part of the denticles and the rim. Like Silver I would tend to blame the strike since there really is no wear to be seen elsewhere on the coin, but on a somewhat worn coin it would look a lot like uneven rim wear. Was the planchet seated weirdly in the collar when it was struck or was something a little off with the dies or....?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1055 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could be MS but will need a sharper photo
Valued Member
Canada
498 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Levaril - yes - I have another post about this issue here on the grading page. It's something that you see from time to time. It's got to be something that happens during production but that does not damage the surface - just screws up the denticles. My other question is how does it influence grade? It could either have no effect but introduce a 'details' notation (though, what is the name of that notation?) or it could drop it by a few points on the Sheldon scale. I would lean towards the former but I don't know.
Canada
40 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Levaril to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you look at the rim from the side is it thinner there or the same as the rest? I can think of several possibilities but some would be eliminated depending on what your answer is to that.
Valued Member
Canada
498 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No - same thickness at the edge....
Canada
40 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Levaril to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay so that limits the possibilities then for sure. It makes me think that you are seeing the raw planchet surface in those spots or something like that. I wonder if the thickness of the areas where there are fields on both sides of the coin are consistent or if it's a little thicker closer to the worn looking rims. I'd bet it's incrementally thicker there. If it is then my guess would be that the top die was somehow slightly cocked when it went in and the one edge didn't get struck properly as a result. It's very well struck on the opposite side. If that's the case then if you were to cut the coin in half you'd be able to see that the surfaces of the dies got much closer on the other side of the coin and not so much on the worn looking side. And that is a totally made up theory! Lol.
Valued Member
Canada
498 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
not bad for 11 am on a Saturday morning....
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 506Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05