Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1936 Delaware Tercentenary - Senate V. Senate V. House

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 191Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5237 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  5:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I posted recently about how the original bills that proposed the 1936 Long Island and 1936 Gettysburg commemorative half dollars included vague language that would have given considerable leeway to their respective sponsors in terms of which mints could strike their coins, when they could be struck and how many could be released in a given year. (1936 Battle of Gettysburg and 1936 Long Island Tercentenary).

Fortunately, the Senate Committee on Banking and Currency stepped in and tightened up the language of each bill before it was passed by Congress and signed into law. It turns out that Representatives in the House were not the only ones who could introduce vague commemorative legislation in the mid-1930s - Senators could do it as well! Exhibit A, the 1936 Delaware Tercentenary half dollar.

The proposal for what would become the Delaware Tercentenary half dollar was introduced in the Senate via a Joint Resolution on March 16 1936. It had been preceded by joint resolutions introduced in the House and Senate earlier in March, but had a notable difference: the new bill named the "Delaware Tercentenary Commission" as the coin's sponsor vs. the "Coin Committee of Delaware Tercentenary Celebration." The Tercentenary Commission was the official body created by the Delaware legislature to plan and coordinate the state's tercentenary celebrations. As the new resolution was introduced in the Senate by Senator Joseph F. Guffey (D-PA), the same Senator who introduced the previous resolution a few days earlier, it appears likely that the "Coin Committee" name used in the original resolution was a placeholder name vs. an established, private and non-state-sanctioned group.

The resolution called for "not more than twenty thousand" half dollars "of a special appropriate design, containing some recognized emblem of the State of Delaware." It allowed for the coins to be struck at multiple Mint facilities (P, D and S) and to be requested whenever its sponsor - the Tercentenary Commission - desired (i.e., a multi-year program would be allowed).

Once the bill was reviewed by the Senate's Committee on Banking and Currency, it immediately recognized the resolution's all-too-familiar issues and offered an amendment to the bill in the form of a substitute. As it had done with the Long Island and Gettysburg coins, the Committee proposed language that restricted the coin's parameters to ensure that only one design would be struck, that all coins struck would be dated with the year authorized (i.e., 1936), that minting would be limited to one year and that a defined minimum number of coins would be required for each order (in this case, the Committee set the minimum at 5,000).

The Senate accepted the Committee's substitute recommendation, passed the resolution and sent it off to the House for consideration. The House's Committee on Coinage, Weights, and Measures reviewed the resolution and recommended that it pass, but with a few changes. It recommended that the mintage be changed to "not less than twenty-five thousand" (this change simultaneously increased the minimum mintage by five thousand coins and removed the maximum mintage cap - 50,000 or 100,000 (or more) coins were suddenly allowed) and that the Commission would be required to order a minimum of 25,000 coins at one time - no "mini" orders allowed! The House wanted to make sure that the coin's sponsor did not try to manipulate the market scarcity of its coin by only requesting a small portion of the authorized coins to be minted.

The Senate concurred with the House's amendments and passed the resolution on May 4, 1936 and sent it on to President Franklin D. Roosevelt for approval; Roosevelt signed the resolution into law on May 15th. The 1936 Delaware Tercentenary half dollar was born! Of course, Delaware's New Sweden Tercentenary would not occur until 1938, but what's a couple of years among collectors?

In the end, 20,993 of the 25,000 coins struck were sold with the balance of just over 4,000 returned to the Mint to be melted.

I've made multiple posts about the Delaware Tercentenary Half Dollar, you can find them here: Read More: Commems Collection

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54671 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your scholarship is commendable, as always.
Edited by Coinfrog
01/14/2021 6:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6992 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm alas now an occasional reader of this great forum - and as such am always thrilled to view another tremendous commems contribution which truly rises to the level of scholarly research.

I ask again commems - will we ever get a book with all this compiled? Sign me up for signed copy #1!
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10830 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  01:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll be right there for copy #2.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1031 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Copy me for Copy #3. Always a pleasure to read your posts. Chock full of knowledge.
Edited by GMS5
01/15/2021 10:37 am
Learn More...
United States
95801 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting!

Quote:
I ask again commems - will we ever get a book with all this compiled?
Click on "Read More: Commems Collection" and you can get an electronic index to a rough draft.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 191Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05