Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Must Be Losing It - Just Paid Good Money For A Coin With A Hole

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 417Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4398 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  09:45 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Some CCF members know I am working on an OFEY for Kingdom of Poland.
In the 1670s-1680s, I have a series of 6 groschen silver coins, and was missing the 1679. This type is notorious for different kinds of planchet flaws, as well as for weak strikes. Sometimes the flaw is short, parallel black streaks that look like windblown raindrops. Sometimes it is flaws that result in surface cracks when the coin is struck. And sometimes those cracks are so bad that they go all the way through the coin.
Thus far, I have tried to avoid coins with those flaws (the 1685, a tough date, has a small crack obverse). So, when I saw this 1679 which is pretty well struck, but has a "through crack" I decided to bid on it, as a coin that was just as "typical" (or moreso) for this period, as the others without flaws that I already have.
Having won it (at probably 1/3 to 1/4 the price of a comparable coin without the hole), I am now stifling the urge to kick myself for intentionally buying a coin with a flaw like this (at least it's not PMD ) for the first time in something like 45 years.
(Note: this is NOT the beginning of a journey to the "dark side" of errors & varieties)
Seller's photos:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9375 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think a coin struck in that era with a flawed planchet would bother me all that much. It isn't a damaged coin. It would be neat to see your short set together in a picture when you get a chance. I kinda like it without knowing anything about the cost of such.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4595 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  11:15 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If that particular year is known for having such problems I don't think it would bother me to add it to my collection. The thought being that coins from this year have problems, here's a well struck example.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
United States
3090 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've purchased low cost coins that I know are details (cleaned or damaged), but still have nice visual appeal. This coin is well struck, but the hole would bother me. I don't know what the coin cost but for any coin over $200 I would not want detailed.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4398 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for those thoughts, all

@TNG, when I receive this one, I will try to photo the set (1678-1685). I've also posted some of them recently on the "How Far Back" thread

@hfj, as I understand it, a coin like this might even straight grade, not details. On an earlier thread, I posted a coin with a similar, though much smaller defect (but still with a small hole) that straight graded AU55 http://goccf.com/t/372133&SearchTerms=hole.

The auction for this coin started at $11 and ended at $36 (yes, there were even other bidders!). Three subtypes of this date are known, with this being the one intermediate in rarity, which is probably why I had any competition for it.
Edited by tdziemia
01/15/2021 1:07 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3090 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tdziemia, if the cost was only $36, I would have waited/spent more for a coin with no hole.
Pillar of the Community
United States
632 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would have waited for a better specimen, even more so if it is "only" $85 for a VF.

https://www.NGCcoin.com/price-guide...duid-1547520

Or do you mean 1687? That one in VF is $350.

https://www.NGCcoin.com/price-guide...duid-1573925
Edited by NumisEd
01/15/2021 2:28 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4398 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@hfj and NumisEd, yeah, that is why I went back and forth between "might as well grab a coin with typical flaws from this era" and "try to grab the most beautiful coin I can afford." Since that OFEY covers nearly 300 years, I need to make some tough choices here and there. With some luck, I might have waited for a VF to VF+ coin for $75-100. It's a date that does not come up quite as often as later ones.

On the NGC links...
This is one type for Poland (not the only type) that is wrong in NGC. The dates and subtypes listed for KM-122 should be accompanied by the description "Laureate armored bust right" and the photo used for KM-128; it was minted in Bydgoszcz(Bromberg) for the most part. The dates and subtypes listed for KM-128 should be accompanied by the description "crowned bust right" and the photo used for KM-122 (minted in Krakow).
This might have caused some (understandable) confusion.

Valued Member
Canada
95 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  02:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bond632 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like you made an informed decision, be happy with it. If a better coin comes along, you could always buy that one and sell this one. In the meantime, you've filled a spot with a fine looking coin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20099 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Take it to a jewlery place and have them fill the hole.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4398 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

My wife's been seeing the dentist a lot recently. They're also good at filling holes, and we probably deserve a freebie there.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 417Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05