Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Great Britain, 6 Pence 1956 - Crossover Mule, Rare?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 446Next Topic  
Valued Member
Netherlands
494 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  2:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sander to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm just started cleaning out my (huge) stash of duplicate coins.. This evening it were the UK turn..

I remembered I had bookmark a site that mention some varieties.. When going through the 6 Pence I felt lucky that I found a 1964 coin with the 65 obverse, what mentioned as scarce..

After that I had 5 coins of the 1965..
And the 4th I examined was the supposed rare with the 1964 obverse.. I assume I'm very very lucky today..

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1349 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That Coin Dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know of any varieties.
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if
My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you! A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification. I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://goccf.com/t/387871
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18568 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My Coincraft 1998 Catalogue lists all varieties of Sixpences of Elizabeth as of equal value for condition.

There is a rare mule, with the obverse crowned effigy of Elizabeth 11, from the Mauritius Quarter Rupee.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1763 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  03:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find - I think it is quite a scarce coin.

Quote:
There is a rare mule, with the obverse crowned effigy of Elizabeth 11, from the Mauritius Quarter Rupee.

Any other details? Never heard of that one.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8773 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  04:19 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I have heard about the Mauritius mule, but I'm not aware of any obverse varieties other than on the 1953 coins with the Britt:Omn legend and the weak and recut portraits.

I'm sure someone will have examined Elizabeth II sixpences in detail and noticed minute variations in the obverse portrait. But I don't think anyone has ever surveyed these coins to see how rare any particular variety is. British collectors tend not to get too excited about minor varieties and all Elizabeth II sixpences were minted in vast numbers and can still be obtained very cheaply in the UK.
Valued Member
Netherlands
494 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  04:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dear all,

Thanks for the replies..
I found the info on this website:

http://www.declanmageecoins.co.uk/E26.html
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8773 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting - thanks for the link. I'd never seen that site.

I was aware of some Elizabeth II varieties such as the 1957 calm and wavy sea and 1967 narrow and broad obverse rim halfpennies, but never knew of these sixpences...
Valued Member
United Kingdom
477 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2021  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are 2 crossover mules for 1964 and 1965 . There were 3 obverse dies and 3 reverse dies used from 1954 -1967 with 3+D solely used for the 1970 proof. 2+B for 1964 and 1+B for 1965 are considered rare. ID markers for both on the 1964 coin the D of DEI is normally pointing between two border teeth so any coin with the D pointing at the border tooth is the mule. 1965 its the same but in reverse the normal D of DEI should point to a border tooth the mule the D points between 2 border teeth . I remember it this way as in the date order and pairing order so I don't have to keep looking it up lol. " 2 teeth 1 gap" so now I can look and know 1964 to tooth and 1965 to gap :) There is no cross over mule for 1956 the only other variety is the 1955 has 2 reverses but neither seem rare .I hope that aids you in your searches Forgot to add your 1956 Is obverse 1 and reverse B which is the standard die pairing 2nd A of Gratia to gap on the obverse and both FD of FID point to a gap also
Edited by zookeeperz
03/15/2021 7:04 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18568 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2021  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Die linking study is an essential tool that is used for the sequencing and dating of ancient coins.

@ zookeeperz: Perhaps your next numismatic job is in the numismatic department of a major a museum?
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 446Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05