Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1971 D Penny With Blob On Lincolns Hair , Error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 255Next Topic  

United States
7 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  2:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Hrlfaith13k to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this nice e looking 1971 d penny and decided to keep it. I looked at it later and noticed a small silver drop (blob) on Lincolns hair. What is it?
Learn More...
United States
18628 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@hrl, first welcome to CCF. Second, that location is a common place for the die to crack a bit and so my first thought was that. However, the color of this blob should be copper (like the rest of the coin). Perhaps it is a bit of solder that was dropped on to this coin. A close-up of this area might help, although please orient the camera to be straight at the coin for that pic. Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1319 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, a bit difficult to see what it actually is in your picture...... But.......

United States
7 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hrlfaith13k to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My pictures are not great but this is the best picture I have. I'm almost sure it is made with the coin and not after the fact. The picture is hard to give the best example of it. I tried for over an hour with multiple angles and still no great picture. I wa a just hoping maybe someone had come across this before and would know what it was. It could be copper and not silver colored but its hard to tell
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hrlfaith13k to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To be specific there is a mark above Lincolns ear that stands out much more than the rest of the features. It is raised up almost like a blob or drop of coin was dropped on it in the process of making it. I don't know much about the way coins are made but in looking at it thats what it would tell me
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20084 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Nothing rare though. Looks like a small blob from the minting.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
1341 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Check Kloccwork419's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Kloccwork419 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its a common die chip in the hair
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54721 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most likely, but a sharper close-up would help.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48829 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These chips can eventually turn into a break:

It was marked as a chip, but because of the size, it is actually a die break.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
425 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add td5173 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When tacking pictures of coins do not hold them. I have found many soft cloths that work for putting them on. Prop the coin up on a fold of the cloth and then take a picture. Take many pictures of both side. Then go to your phone edit for pictures I have both types of phone they have them. Fix what needs fixing Crop the pictures. Get rid of the rest post the best you have. It takes time to learn how to do this but the results are worth it.
Learn More...
United States
95934 Posts
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hrlfaith13k to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you to everyone for the input. I will enjoy the discussions and look forward to learning more. Coins have become my obsession. Hopefully its a common thing among those who are in the beginner stage. Lol. Thanks again!
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 255Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.71 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05