Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Missing Clad Layer? 1986 DDR? Phantom D 1983

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 345Next Topic  

United States
18 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  04:38 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Blaz3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a few questions being new at coin collecting and only 2nd day here please excuse my overzealousness. (also if anyone can suggest a faster/better way to take pics and/or vids of stuff I'd appreciate it!

Also is water and a q tip ok for cleaning? Or will PCGS Mark it as ckewnedbi sent in?

(1983 near mint DDR?))
Edited by Blaz3
01/17/2021 11:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2745 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  05:24 am  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see no doubling of any kind. Looks like a normal coin, not a DDR.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
The concept of maturity is complex. While one's capacity to be mature can be correlated with age, someone's overall maturity and respect for life is not. Maturity is formed through experience and perception.
Human progress can only be achieved through trial and error.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1342 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  09:40 am  Show Profile   Check Kloccwork419's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Kloccwork419 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would hold off on wanting to send in coins when you don't know much about them yet. You'll waist a ton of money and it might just push you to give up.

#1, if you're asking about a coin, post just that coin. Get close clear pics of the coin and clear questions on what you're asking about, and dont get offended. Use macro setting on youre camera.
#2, crop the picture. Youre asking about multiple coins and most of the picture is youre hand or 30 other coins.
Last but NOT LEAST, DONT CLEAN YOUR COINS. I'másure there is threads upon threads here, and all over the internet, about what you can and cant do when it comes to cleaning.

Refer to #1

and

Edited by Kloccwork419
01/17/2021 09:43 am
Learn More...
United States
18653 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@blaz, first welcome to CCF and we welcome your zealousness!

As mentioned above, definitely don't clean your coins. Ever. Also, in order for us to best help you, please restrict each thread to a single coin. That helps us focus where you want us to and makes searching for specific items much easier in the future. Lastly, using those blue bars as pointers is a great idea and will help us to hone in on your specific question.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1358 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Take your pictures showing the coin on a white background (towel, piece of paper, etc), and crop them like stated above.
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  11:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Blaz3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the advice guys. Will do going forward.

I just feel like I've studied soooo much and yet know sooo little. Can you guys advise where I can go to show some coins and who would help me? I feel like I have a good understanding with the major stuff but not the minor.

Like if I'm coin roll hunting. Do I save the 2006 or 2004 DDO/DDRs? How about the 1982s, only top 3 varieties? What's the latest year where a mint coin is valuable just for being ms65 plus?

In regards to these 3, is the spotting on the 64 penny here water damage?
Is the quarter missing a clad layer? (looks the same on the reverse) and is the 2019 edges make it valuable or damaged? Same thing for the above 2016 I take it?

(I uploaded one last pic)
Pillar of the Community
United States
5035 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  12:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As mentioned, it is very difficult for us to deal with multiple coins in a single thread, so bare with us. We know you're excited, we all are with each new find. I suggest you focus your efforts on a single type of coin or two, just to make it easier on yourself. Play the field and see what you like most. It may be easier for you to learn from reading more about coins, especially error coins if that's what you fancy. In the top left hand corner of every page here in CCF you'll find a search box. Just type in whatever you'd like to learn about and instantly you'll have answers. If you can't find something, ask away! If you don't yet have a good reference book, I'd suggest you pick up a copy of The Red Book of US Coins.

I will mention that everyone just beginning feels every coin they come across is a super rare error find, but please realise doubled die coins are very rare, and while possible every coin in your pocket is one, it's highly unlikely they are error coins.

Coin photography can be a bit of a challenge and uploading them here takes a bit of time, but like anything you do, the more you work at it, it better/faster you'll get. And like already mentioned, one coin at a time per thread works best for us please. Lay your coins down on a solid surface and photograph them from directly above for best results. If possible, use daylight or a diffused lighting source. And don't forget to crop your photos to the edges of your coin!

As others have touched on, never NEVER clean your coins! Many o'coins have been ruined by trying to improve them, and the best advice we can give you is to just don't do it. And while handling you coins, hold them only on their edges, or better yet, buy a few pairs of inexpensive cotton gloves (available from anywhere selling hobby supplies). Oils from your skin can damage your coins, especially those ultra shiny new copper cents. Fingerprints can quickly ruin any possible numismatic value, so be careful!

Looking at your photos it appears several of your coins have been environmentally tarnished/stained/damaged. Unfortunately most of those coins are essentially ruined unless an error is noted on them, and even then it affects the value a great deal. Coins are easily damaged unless protected, that's why finding them in great shape is so difficult.

So, and have fun searching and learning!

ša va bien aller

United States
18 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  01:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Blaz3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks you merclover all very solid advice. I'm just learning about things like Machine Doubling & bubbling causing what appears to be doubling. Otherwise yes it does seem like I'm finding a lot more than I should. So far pennies are my favorite I think but they're deff a handful. I'll deff utilize the search bar and learning from others mistakes already just reading through new threads I notice I used to have similar questions so these are very useful learning forum. Anyways my bad again about being over zealous, I'll make sure to only make threads once a day or so and only for stuff that's really valuable. In regards to my last question, I take it the 4 coins I posted are all environmentally damaged and not errors or missing clad layers? Oh well; I'm sure I'll find something cool soon!
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 345Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05