Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1986 Statue Of Liberty Half In Aacgs Slab

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 319Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
170 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  4:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add silverexile to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all, Apologies to hijack a 2yrs old thread...

http://goccf.com/t/356463

but I also have a 1986 Half in a AACGS Slab 'graded' PR65. Picked up for ~$1.. I could not find any info on AACGS.. and put it away not thinking anyhting about it.

Now I was able to break open the slab, wanted to get thoughts on the actual/real grade.. I feel the rub on the sun and the mirrored fields will bring it down a bit...

Learn More...
United States
96136 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your reply was split into its own topic for the proper attention.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2926 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Need photos of whole coin. Both sides please
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5830 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Full pictures of the coins and the slabs would help.

The slabbing company sounds like a bottom feeder and it's reputation is probably close behind.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5281 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From all outward appearances, AACGS (American Alliance Coin Grading Service) was a private/in-house service that encapsulated and graded US coins for its own sale. The service was active until at least 2014 (based on the dates known on coins placed in AACGS holders).

While certainly not on par with true, open-to-the-public third-party grading ( TPG) services such as PCGS, NGC or ANACS, it does seem like the private service had decent funding/backing as it created a custom holder for its coins vs. using widely-available generic coin holders and just putting a custom-printed insert into them.

Over the years, I have personally inspected coins in AACGS holders at coin shows (out of curiosity more than anything else) and will say that often times the grades assigned were OK. Yes, I definitely saw some overgraded coins, but more than a handful appeared to be accurately graded after inspection with a coin glass. Bottom line, inspect all coins in these holders and judge for yourself - you might be able to purchase an accurately graded coin at a reduced price because of the holder!

Here's an interesting video from YouTube about the accuracy of AACGS grades:

RA4zjbhx3bE

FWIW, PF-65 is not a high grade when it comes to modern US Mint product (it's a segment in which PF-68 is often considered a poor grade), so unless the coin has been mistreated, the grade of PF 65 for your coin might not be all that bad - it might even be conservative. Better images will help all of us provide more informed opinions!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
United States
170 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silverexile to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for delay in reply. PLease find better photos. Not expecting too much from this coin, given the defects I have already seen, not assuming PF65 is reasonable. Note that when breaking open the slab there is so much abrasion on the plastic I wonder if the slab itself did damage to the edges and the sun...

Pillar of the Community
United States
5070 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it would have been worth a whole lot more to a slab collector who was building a set of basement slabbers if it was left in the original slab.

Now that it is raw it is a $1 coin at best.
Valued Member
United States
170 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silverexile to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Meh, possibly.. But with aacgs, likely not being a justified PR65.. dont think its a big deal. and also, it just popped open and it just pops back closed again.

AACGS PR65 Half Dollar for Sale, in its original slab.. to someone who collects.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 319Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05