Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin Values Of Uncirculated Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 229Next Topic  

United States
15 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  5:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Nicke to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm confused about how to determine the value of my uncirculated 1978 D Eisenhower dollar. It seems to be a high grade, but the difference in values that I see on the internet run the gamut from $3.50-&8000! Does it just depend on where it is sold, if it is professionally graded, etc? I also can not tell the difference between a MS63 and any other grade above it. Is there a written description that is more definitive? I find the sample pictures too much alike. My picture is attached-it is hard to see inside the plastic,but it is free of all except 1 scratch on the reverse, from what I can see, and it has a yellowish tone to it.Any insights would be appreciated. Thank you!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11379 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

As far as I know, the only thing that would determine the value of your coin is its condition, or grade. Anything MS-67 and above would be quite valuable it seems, but that would need to be determined by a credible TPG for someone to pay big bucks. Anything MS-65 and below is not worth getting graded.

I'm not a very good grader, but I don't think those pics would allow anyone here to properly grade it. It needs to be out of the plastic and pics need to be straight on, in focus and well-lit.

This page may help:

https://www.ikegroup.info/?page_id=32
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

"If we continue to accumulate only power and not wisdom, we will surely destroy ourselves."
-Carl Sagan
Edited by spruett001
01/19/2021 6:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5035 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check eBay's SOLD listings to get a feel of what your coins might actually sell for to get a relative idea as to value. What someone actually spends money on is a good indicator of value rather than asking prices.

to the CCF!

ša va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18145 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nicke: I share a lot of your confusion. Nevertheless,
the numismatic market is what it is.

As an individual, I am not attracted to modern coins (after about 1960) with MS-65 or above grades due to excessive pricing. Also, I would much prefer a MS-65 Ike to a MS-70 Ike, due to the lower price.
To me, an otherwise common coin in MS-70 is not a rare coin. Population grading numbers say differently.
I am much more interested in the numismatics of a coin than I am in it's condition.

Mints these days are very capable of producing MS-70 coins on a consistent basis. It then becomes a matter for the owner to keep them in that condition.
99% of the production of the 2009 proof Ultra High Relief Double Eagle is either PF-69 or PF-70, and I and would not be bothered in the least which grade I would own, because sure as eggs, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
I will let others be fanatical about that.

I never bother with on screen grading of coins that could be in the MS-65 to MS-70 range, and I defy anybody else to be able to do so accurately and consistently.
Pillar of the Community
United States
950 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Between 63 and 67 the grade is mostly determined by the number, size, and locations of marks in the coin. The fewer, the smaller, and the less often in the flat fields of the coin, the better. Such marks most often are the result of the coin being hit by another coin between the time is left the dies and reached you. At 67 the marks must be very few, minimal in size, and almost invisible to the unaided eye. Higher grades also take into account eye appeal items such as attractiveness of color and luster.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1462 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Sel Couldn't agree more. Condition geeks can have their sets of flawless State Quarters. I'd much rather have a beat up coin that's rare in any grade than one that's only rare because it's immaculate.
My best finds:
1996 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/372066
Two 2000 WAMs in a box: http://goccf.com/t/375240
1995 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/376071#3225244
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 229Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05