Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1941 Wheat Cent Incomplete Planchet

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 337Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  12:56 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Yorkish to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found this beauty in my wheat stash!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
37721 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  04:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like it.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54703 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting for sure.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
8831 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice straight clip.
It's a wonder that it stayed in circulation long enough to get that worn.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2942 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice example.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5541 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great example of straight clip
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yorkish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@JimmyD I know, it's crazy to think that it managed to stay out of a collectors hands for so long. But it just serves as further proof to me that the old errors are still out there to be found!
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cecilia Sowinski to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What's a Blaksley Effect?
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ghawk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Blakesley Effect is when theres no pressure applied opposite of the clip causing a flat spot in the rim (the weak rim area opposite of the clip).

Edit: Named after Mr. Blakesley, an American numismatist who first described it. And also, it doesn't always occur on clipped planchets but yours clearly shows it.
Edited by Ghawk
01/21/2021 4:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1313 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What's a Blaksley Effect?

To sum it up: It's rim weakness directly opposite from the actual clip on the coin
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yorkish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Ghawk so what does that mean for this coin? How do you suppose it could have the blakesly effect and be a clipped planchet and how does it only appear on some? This is something worth learning for sure. If you have any reference material bookmarked I would love to read up on it. For now off to google to research it for myself lol
Edited by Yorkish
01/21/2021 4:08 pm
Valued Member
United States
434 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When the blank is turned into a planchet, it goes through what is called the upsetting mill. This is basically a pair of rollers that push the edge of the blank in an creates the rim. So if there is a clip, the rollers can't apply pressure right, and the opposite side of the coin is "weak" as you see here. It helps confirm this is a real clip and not after it left the mint.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5002 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yorkish, use the search box found at the top left of every CCF page. There is a wealth of info therein!

ša va bien aller

Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yorkish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@merclover I consulted google first but the forum search bar is my next stop I promise!

@sheldius thank you for the explanation!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48815 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Everyone calls these straight clips, but they aren't clipped on the edge. That is the edge of the stock material. So I feel it is OK to call this an incomplete planchet.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 337Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05