Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Spotting A Circulated Proof

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 483Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  02:03 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Reedbeard08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Enjoy the pepper

Perhaps this has been asked before, or belongs in a different spot - let me know, please.

I have a Susan B. Anthony and a couple Kennedy halves that look significantly different than any others. In particular, features look more satin and defined, and the metal is more frosty. I also believe I have spotted oddities like this in coin roll hunting. Are there telltale signs to spot NIFCs which have entered the mainstream? Thanks, folks :)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37808 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  04:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Please post photos. Those of us who have been in hobby for awhile can spot an impaired proof pretty quickly.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7002 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  05:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

Once you've seen a circulated proof (also known as an impaired proof) you'll instantly know the difference. Frosty surfaces, bolder legends and rims. They truly stand out, even in well circulated states such as XF.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14880 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  07:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's like looking at a proof coin that is slightly scratched or maybe a small hit or two . Also might loose some of it's proof-like cameo or proof mirror fields . Like said above , you'll know when you see them .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54879 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pics please!

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reedbeard08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Glad to get a lot of enthused potential viewers. Pictures will be forthcoming once things are a bit more organized and I'm feeling comfortable with image creation and uploading. Thanks in advance and stay tuned :)

RB
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17230 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For starters they have to be S mint coins (except the 1999 P proof SBA). There are no S mint circulation strike Kennedys. There are S mint circulation strike SBA's, and 1999 P SBA's. There are no P or D proof coins in those series except the 1999 P SBA.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
01/22/2021 10:13 am
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reedbeard08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here are some of the proofs in question. Couple of considerations:

Photographing shiny in shiny is difficult - any suggestions appreciated!
Eisenhowers are mislabeled - all D mintages are S. Sorry for confusion.
Interested in any potential valuation impact of proof impairment (looking at SBA circulated, or generally if one can address it.

Thanks again and happy days
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14880 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For starters they have to be S mint coins (except the 1999 P proof SBA). There are no S mint circulation strike Kennedys. There are S mint circulation strike SBA's, and 1999 P SBA's. There are no P or D proof coins in those series except the 1999 P SBA

Just backing you up with some more exceptions : 1968-1974-S Lincolns ,1968-1974-S Jefferson's .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, some of those are easy to confirm purely by mintmark. The 1981P SBA is not a proof. All the S mintmark Kennedys are proofs. If the 1972 Ike is not an S mintmark, then it is not a proof.
As for the others, the mylar makes it hard to see the surfaces, especially the S mintmark Ikes. I don't see anything suggesting the 1999 SBA is proof-like, but maybe the picture doesn't show what you are seeing.
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EagleEric to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have found 3 proof dimes from circulation (90s dates) by looking at a stack from the side; they were all slightly thicker than the normal dimes. This might hold true for other denominations, haven't found any yet. Sometimes I do find a random thick dime that isn't proof and it's a bit of a let-down :D
Pillar of the Community
United States
757 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i agree with the ppl who've posted re: spotting a circulated proof coin. I've found a couple before and indeed they do jump out at you. I dumped a small fishbowl full of coins onto a table (for searching thru) and a 1971-S proof Washington quarter stood out, and glaringly so. they are pretty easy to see. of course I realize the extent of a coin's impairment could affect the eye's ability to spot it, but the quarter I found wasn't so badly impaired (circulation wear) that it was 'disguised' by the wear.
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  12:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reedbeard08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all who have shared stories, tips, and views of my coins :) Definitely just picked out 3 '55 proof dimes from a fat stack of normies; feeling pretty jazzed to be getting some numismatic eyes

Bedrock of the Community
United States
17230 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just backing you up with some more exceptions : 1968-1974-S Lincolns ,1968-1974-S Jefferson's

Correct on the cents wrong on the nickels, the circulation S mint nickels were 68, 69 and 70. After 70 S nickels were proof only. I didn't mention those earlier because he was specifically asking about Kennedy's and SBA's.
Gary Schmidt
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 483Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05