Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1980 Penny With A Raised "Something" Between The Numbers In The Date

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 197Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
100 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  3:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Cecilia Sowinski to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi
So this is a 1980 penny. I honestly am not sure what is going on here. I am thinking this must be PMD but what exactly is it. The marking is raised in height above the height of the numbers in the date. It does not appear to be glued onto the coin. Any and all help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Cecilia

Bedrock of the Community
United States
37671 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is PMD,but your guess is as good as ours as to what did it.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cecilia Sowinski to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like something is on the coin correct? Not a scratch? I mean how would a scratch be raised. Very weird. How could something make its way onto a coin if it wasn't glued or melted on?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4444 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you sure it's raised? it appears to be incuse based off the photos
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cecilia Sowinski to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It seems raised but maybe it's just the angel I am looking at it. Are there different ways of viewing coins to get a more accurate description? More zoomed in or out? Upside down or sideways? The source of lighting? Camera at an angel vs looking straight down?
Thanks
Pillar of the Community
Canada
8810 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a scratch. PMD
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14850 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks incuse to me too . like an object hit into the coin with a lot of force also causing the rim to be affected .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1284 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I't looks gouged into the surface as the underlying copper is shiny
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cecilia Sowinski to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So what do you think caused this? It is PMD correct?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14850 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If old Abe can only talk .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
4969 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, PMD. What caused it? There are thousands of ways PMD happens, your guess would be as good as mine.

ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
United States
1153 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That Coin Dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it is on the surface it could be glue. Try picking it off.
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if

My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you!
A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification.
I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://goccf.com/t/387871
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 197Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05