Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Opinion: Once Working Dies Die, They Ought Not To Be Put Back To Work.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 185Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...

United States
173 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  09:43 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kcm to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
For any who don't know, life at the Philadelphia Mint in 1955 is legendary. A Two Cent tax increase on a pack of cigarettes (a crucial commodity in that day) caused everyone in the tobacco food chain to hoard one cent coins to make change. For example, vending machines could handle nickels, dimes and quarters, but not pennies, so sellers had to put three pennies in each pack as change. Imagine how many pennies spent time sitting in cigarette machines alone; never mind cash registers and mom and pop store safes. Pennies disappeared from circulation. The mint struggled in panic to fill the shortage. All hands on deck! darn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead! 1955 coinage is rife with varieties and errors. Lots of fun for today's collectors.

There's a small amount of PMD on this unfortunate piece but it seems that die pair that struck it had gone far, far past what numismatists dub VLDS (Very Late Die State). Comments would be interesting.

Kevin

Pillar of the Community
United States
1164 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  09:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That Coin Dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yeesh. put that die to rest
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if

My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you!
A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification.
I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://goccf.com/t/387871
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2656 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  10:25 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting read about the cigarettes.
I would have thought that something else in addition to die wear is responsible for this. Grease? Late stage Die Cap?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
173 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kcm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting speculation @Big Silver. The 300KB image limit puts discussion at a slight disadvantage. I find the bust on the obverse to be almost equal in disgrace to the stalks on the reverse.
Edited by Kcm
01/22/2021 11:08 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2942 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, those '55 P cents were works of 'art'. I have a few dozen of the late die state '55 poor man's doubled die (PMDD)--complete with cracked skulls. Add to that several near PMDDs with die chips on the reverse. Would be interesting to see mint state '55 cents with all these issues. Anyone have some worth photographing?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4414 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've never heard that before, but I buy it. I've seen some pretty sorry '55 Lincolns.

Strangely, it looks like Philly only minted 33 million in 1955, compared to nearly 72 million in 1954 and 421 million in 1956. Anyone know why that might be?
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 185Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05