Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Two 1898 1 Yang Coins Found Possible Contemporary Counterfeits?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1 / Views: 106Next Topic  
Valued Member
Korea, Republic Of
443 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  10:50 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lembafc to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In all my time in Korea, I spent many days metal detecting old mountain passes with traffic dated back hundreds of years. I found these two 1898 (Gwangmu Yr 2) 1 Yang coins one day and immediately began to question their authenticity. First, 1 Yang coins are supposed to be silver, yet they rang up on the metal detector like a copper-nickel coin. They also didn't come out clean like other silver coins I found. Finding these coins in the ground is near impossible and would be a startling discovery considering how much weight these coins held during the time. Counterfeit coins from that period carry a decent premium at the auctions, but I wanted to see what you guys think. Were they contemporary counterfeits from the time? Special trial coins? Aliens?

Pillar of the Community
Australia
3314 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't quite comment on it yet. Would like to see edges of the coins. I do own a contemporary counterfeit that is dated 1898 1 yang and I still don't understand how it was manufactured. If I remember correctly, it looks like it is acid dippped or some sort. I think what gave it away when was you did the silver drop test and it sounded very different. Didn't pay a lot for it back then so it didn't faze me too much.

I thought I had pic of it but turns out I haven't finish cataloging what I have so no pic yet.

1898 is home to a lot of mysterious varieties

I am under the impression that there are 3 varieties of 1 yang (not 2) and 2 genuine varieties of 1/4 yang (not the massive amount of counterfeits that floated around at that time). I am also under the impression that the large character 5 fun 1898 is more likely to be contemporary counterfeit instead of being genuine.

Will look for that picture or just take new ones...
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
  Previous TopicReplies: 1 / Views: 106Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05