Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1974 Franklin Mint Harry Houdini Silver Token

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 317Next Topic  
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  7:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DFry97 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is a cool token I found at a local antique market. Couldn't find much on it but I did read, and if anyone could confirm this info, they made 3099 of these silver Harry Houdini tokens. They were also made in Bronze. Any further information would be greatly appreciated.

I've heard both good and bad things about the Franklin Mint. Seems they were a solid mint but went "down the drain" later on. What were the golden years of the Franklin Mint?

I also have a George C. Marshall and a Harlan Fiske Stone token by the Franklin Mint I will share down the road.

Thanks for reading,

Dan
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54762 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most (not all) Franklin Mint issues just sell for bullion today. Basically garbage directed at uninformed collectors.
Edited by Coinfrog
01/22/2021 8:01 pm
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DFry97 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Most (not all) Franklin Mint issues just sell for bullion today. Basically garbage directed at uninformed collectors.

Not sure what a uniformed collector is... but I bought it well under todays spot. Didn't expect it to have much if any value over spot. One man trash is another mans treasure. One of 3099 (so I've read), that's not garbage if you ask me.
Learn More...
United States
18642 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@dfry, yes safe to say that the Franklin Mint has a chequered past. Looks like you picked this medal up for just about melt, which as the frog pointed out, is what it is worth.

Added: looks like we were both typing at the same time. Did you pay $18 for this piece? If so, then maybe my math is off because I was thinking that with spot at $25, you have just over $18 of silver there.

In the end, if you are happy with the bullion and the design, then that is what is important.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
18 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DFry97 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@dfry, yes safe to say that the Franklin Mint has a chequered past. Looks like you picked this medal up for just about melt, which as the frog pointed out, is what it is worth.

Got it for 20% off the ticketed price of $18. I'd say I did well on it spot wise :)
Learn More...
United States
18642 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok yes silver at approximately 20% below spot does sound like a good deal.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5258 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For decades, the Franklin Mint made some of the most well-designed and well-executed medals in the industry. Calling them "garbage" does a disservice to the medals and to those who enjoy collecting them.

I chuckle whenever I hear/read someone fault them for being 0.925 fine silver. First, sterling silver (0.925 fine silver) was a standard for silver coins used around the world for many, many years - it couldn't be all that bad to be such a long-term standard! Second, US silver coinage is almost universally accepted as "good silver" and is collected/hoarder by the bag as a solid store of value based on its silver content - classic US silver coins are of a lower fineness (0.900) than most Franklin Mint silver medals!

The Franklin Mint Houdini medal shown has, IMO, an attractive design and is nicely-executed - it's a nice numismatic collectible!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DFry97 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The Franklin Mint Houdini medal shown has, IMO, an attractive design and is nicely-executed - it's a nice numismatic collectible!

Thank you for the kind words! I could not agree more.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54762 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, I did not mean to disparage this particular item - it's very interesting. I only meant to suggest that, at the time, the Franklin Mint took out endless advertising in newspaper inserts selling this sort of thing to novice "collectors" as fast as they could stamp them out, much like souvenir plates and other collectibles that lose most of their value ads soon as they're bought. The only thing that salvaged the value of these Franklin Mint issues was the steep rise in silver prices over the years.
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DFry97 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sorry, I did not mean to disparage this particular item - it's very interesting. I only meant to suggest that, at the time, the Franklin Mint took out endless advertising in newspaper inserts selling this sort of thing to novice "collectors" as fast as they could stamp them out, much like souvenir plates and other collectibles that lose most of their value ads soon as they're bought. The only thing that salvaged the value of these Franklin Mint issues was the steep rise in silver prices over the years.

All good! Sorry if my response came across "salty". I completely understand what you are saying. If I can get Franklin Mint medals around melt price and the piece catches my eye I'll buy it! Definitely will not be dishing out any serious money for these medals. Thanks for the info folks.

Dan
Learn More...
United States
96035 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I agree. I should note that I am a fan of Houdini.

Great find!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9374 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this is from the Jewish People's History set. Not to be confused with Franklin Mint Jews of America History Medals which is quite scarce.
I cannot find the set your medal comes from but have found a bronze version on eBay where I think the asking price is quite high.

I will agree that The Franklin Mint pumped out a lot of medals with topics and artwork few may care for.
On the other hand, I have some pretty obscure and beautiful issues in my collections that are near impossible to find.

I mean who really would care about the History of Dentistry?
Well, dentists might. A magician would probably be very interested in this Houdini medal.
To each, his or her own.
Many Franklin mint sterling silver items are believed to have been melted down.
I have compiled a numismatic history related collection of people places and events that interest me in medals from all kinds of makers. Some happen to be Franklin Mint items.

I can agree there are a lot of duds out there. But the Houdini medal here is nice and it has an intrinsic value to boot. Don't let it escape you without making a profit someday.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Valued Member
Virgin Islands (U.S.)
63 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2021  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add STTScott to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And that's the thing -- whether someone collects for the melt value, the numismatic value, or the artistic value. I'm not sure the Franklin Mint deserves the knocks it gets from the higher-ups (as opposed to the US Mint). While I personally wouldn't buy anything from Franklin because to me, it's basically bullion and its collector/resale value is really limited, that mint has put out some attractive issues -- which is a plus if you collect for artistic value and plan to keep it for your lifetimebecause you love the way it looks. But even there, Franklin's coins are still going to be top-notch silver bullion value if you decide to have it/them melted down.

And really, private mints and assayers have had a long history worth appreciating. So Franklin Mint isn't some scam infomercial house as opposed to, say, whoever is putting out gold-plated Buffalo nickles and making it sound like they're gold Buffalos.

So really, 1. if you buy them hoping they'll appreciate in value in the collector market, look elsewhere. 2. If you buy them because you think they're gorgeous, buy away. That's ultimately what collecting is all about: Coins whose designs move you and you fall in love with. 3. If you buy them thinking the silver market is gonna fly someday, buy away -- BUT you'd be better off buying USA bullion coins because mintages vary, etc and you can always find people who will buy and appreciate Silver Eagles that you will never find with Franklin Mint issues even tho their silver content is the same. Perception is everything, and coins is coins and not-coins (like Silver Eagles) is not coins (like tokens ain't coins), so they're intrinsically just melt value.

Love what you love, wherever it came from.
Edited by STTScott
02/14/2021 5:05 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 317Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05