Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1921 P Morgan Dollar - Klimpton 12 VAM 53

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 196Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
61 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  8:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coinstrike to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Are coins from the Klimpton 12 worth anything? I've got a 1921 P VAM 53 and I wonder if it's desirable or not. I have googled and checked Ebay for the 1921 P VAM 53 and I've been unable to find it to see what they may have sold for in the past. The price I paid for this one was really good since it was a gift. Free is the best price. I have several questions about it.
1) What is the ballpark value?
2) I think it grades to AU 53. I know that sounds like the VAM, but that's coincidence. Does this look right to you experienced types?
3) After I soaked this in acetone for 12 hours, it went from an MS looking coin to a mirror finish. Does this look like one of the proof like variety?

I know it may sound nutty that I want to know the value of a coin I don't intend to sell, but I do would like to know. I've actually never sold or traded any coins from my collection, which I hope my children will enjoy one day. As a note, I've posted pictures of the identifying marks that make me categorize this as a VAM 53. If anyone sees that I'm wrong, would you let me know? Thank you all for you expertise here in CC. I have really appreciated this community. Thank you.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1380 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO - Seems like when you soaked it in acetone the haze was removed and now it shows a polished coin. I don't know prices of a details 21 Morgan.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9579 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  08:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe you are correct with VAM-53. I'm not sure if this VAM is a value added variety but I can tell you there are 15 MS examples in the SSDC registry ranging from 62 to 64.
It appears to be an AU details coin but still well worth what you paid....
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
517 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes looks heavily cleaned
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinstrike to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It really didn't look cleaned until I put it in acetone, so I wondered if I might have made a mistake. Of course I don't think I did, it's good to know what I've got. It made me wonder if Mom cleaned before she died years ago, but I really doubt she did because none of her other silver coins were cleaned, so probably someone did it before my parents got it. I guess this would make the coin a "no grade" and so it goes. Dad gave it to me recently and it's a nice family memory, Dad started me collecting over 50 years ago. I may leave the coin out in open air to regain some patina over the years, because it looked so much less cleaned that way, which of course made it more appealing to my eye.

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge. Cheers and good collecting!
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 196Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05