Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help Identifying These Strange Half Printed Banknotes

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 223Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  10:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RoDoJo2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a couple of "banknotes" I can not figure out. I was told they are specimen notes but I have never seen any like these. They at first glance look like bills cut in hald but looking closely it is easy to see they are only half printed. Also the serial number and the color plate is missing, they are only printed on one side, the paper is old but way too thick to be a currency note. There is a black line running through them. Can not figure it out. A local currency expert says they are not fake but fake what? Anyone know abouth these? Help is greatly appreciated.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3040 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  07:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't label them as banknotes. The black line through the image is the universal sign that they are not real. Recently the BEP has started using the word COPY (in red) on banknote images seen on their souvenir cards. Your description sounds like they are printed on card stock, but I'm unable to tell who printed them or when. This is the souvenir card printed by the BEP that features this iconic design.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54827 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That covers it well.

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
298 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Badger Mint to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Possibly removed from on of the many 19th century Counterfeit Detection books.
Valued Member
United States
486 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  04:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, these are pages removed from a Heath's counterfeit detector. Banks didn't need a full banknote reprint, just part of one for comparison. I was able to find the $20 note in an 1878 detector: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt...thumb&seq=66 I think the $5 woodchopper was probably from a similar detector from the 1870s. Fyi, these were printed from the original plates by the Bureau of Engraving & Printing.
Edited by GregAlex
01/25/2021 04:36 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 223Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05