Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2008 Silver Quarter From Silver Proof Set With Copper Coloring

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 173Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  8:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Autumn25 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I purchased a set of silver proof mint quarters in 2008, from US Mint. A few of them came with these specs of what I believe to be copper appearing on them. Each of the specs is about 1/2 an inch into the coin. They all are still in their original case, never opened.

Can someone describe what type of issue this is and how it would be categorized?

Pillar of the Community
1110 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't really tell you how or why it happened. Maybe where it was stored, excessive hot, cold, dampness, humidity, etc.. Environmentally issues?

Basically, welcome to the United States Mint quality control. I've seen much worse.

BTW: Those Proof sets are not air tight.
Edited by MOS0239
01/23/2021 8:30 pm
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Autumn25 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Because it seems to be in the same region of the coin, I thought it was a part of the coin. Not something that happened after the fact.

These marks were on the coin, the time it arrived. But thanks for letting me know that I shouldn't assume it is air tight.

Pillar of the Community
1110 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't know it arrived that way. I would have sent it back. But you didn't know the difference, so I guess it's to late now.
Learn More...
United States
95713 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1325 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
toning usually either starts at the edge and works towards the center or starts at the center and works towards the edge.
can also be a contaminant from wherever the set was put together. but it didn't happen during the strike during the minting process. This would be one of those Quality control issues that should have been refused and returned for a refund or replacement when noticed.

These coins were struck at different times, definitely on different dies, maybe on different presses also. this isn't a mint striking problem. maybe someones greasy frenchfry fingers during packaging or something like that.

the 14 coin silver proof set sold in 2008 for $46.25, you can by clean ones now for close to that price still off ebay. Melt value for the silver in that set, probably around $30 or so.... I think would be an take-able offer at this point if you were looking to offload the set and buy a replacement,

you could just buy the 5 coin silver proof quarter lens instead though if that's all that has a problem for between $20-$25, and sell the silver quarters and break close to even, as I think you could get around $20 for 5 90% silver quarters. on the silver proof sets you take the hit on the clad dollars, cent and nickel, so If you can avoid breaking the set for the half and the dime, you can in theory buy a replacement quarter lens 2008S State Quarter silver 5 coin set to replace that lens with, then sell the ugly damaged one to recover maybe even all of your cost. or just lose a buck or two, maybe even gain a buck or two.... depending on the final prices.

which I guess brings me bacl to the initial post and that possibly this is a 5 coin quarter silver proof set. if that's the case, then I'd think if you watch ebay and pictures are accurate, you can get a replacement set for right around melt value anyways, then just buy a clean set and sell this one for melt nearby to be even.

I believe it's toning, and I believe from the pattern it was someone doing the packaging touching it to put it in the holder with a greasy/contaminated gloved finger.which I guess is better than a fingerprint etched into the center of the coin, but not much better really...

A member here, @BrandaBob, posted about a year ago an absolutely nasty Presidential dollar set from 2009. like someone had sneezed on it during packaging and sent it out the door. spots galore!
the thread was here, http://goccf.com/t/342460

Anyways, main point here is the silver quarter 5 coin set is selling on ebay for right around melt value of 5 90% quarters, so getting a replacement shouldn't cost you all that much if you buy one low, then sell your ugly set for melt locally. it shoudl be a near break even deal in the end.

Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 173Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05