Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1982 Lincoln Memorial Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 241Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  3:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Yorkish to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good afternoon CoinCommunity! Just testing my grading skill progress, and am hoping the community can confirm or critique as necessary. I believe this coin to be in MS-64 condition. What do you all think?

Pillar of the Community
United States
2157 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too much wear on Abe's temple, cheek, jaw and lapels to be a mint state coin in my opinion.
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yorkish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, so what would you grade it as? I'm still training myself to do this stuff so all the input is helpful.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54762 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at MS-66 or even 67, possibly RD but can't be sure from these pics. A beauty.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2902 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at AU-58.
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yorkish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coinfrog how could I improve the pictures? Is it that there is too much glare? Or is the light too monotone?
Pillar of the Community
United States
946 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Given the lack of hits, I'd say this is a mint state coin, MS-66, and that the flat looking areas on Abe are the result of glare. When you get glare there's either too much light, or it's too direct, or both, so move the light source away, or scatter it by shining it through paper.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37757 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMHO, not a MS coin...AU-55 to AU-58
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
3994 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Obverse: as stated above, light issue or wear..
Reverse: Dark spot in the middle of the vase on the left-hand side of the stairs puts my opinion at AU-58.
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Pillar of the Community
United States
2969 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU55++ for me. Given the photos, obverse shows modest wear on high points, as does the reverse (perhaps a bit less). Sharper, higher resolution photos taken using diffused lighting would help.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16866 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Large date zinc, 64 sounds right to me.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  01:02 am  Show Profile   Check Diy89Nurm7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Diy89Nurm7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guessing AU-53/55, too. In addition to other comments so far, the lettering does not seem crisp and some letters, like the N and G and the 8 and 2 on the obverse might be slightly flat from wear. Of course, hard to be completely sure with pictures.

Stay well!
Diy89Nurm7
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 241Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05