Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Old Pennies Of Great Britain

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 240Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  12:43 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Reedbeard08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Ahoy, finders and keepers!

I've had a bit of a soft side for pennies throughout my life and keep pulling in different eras/regions. By now, I just have an overload of UK pennies from 1850-1980. I'd rather not trash them, but these are the seconds from an attempt to fill some world currency books. Do places buy lot foreign coins? Is it best to just sit on them and watch for appreciation? Thanks in advance :)

RB
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8104 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  03:33 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any small decimal pennies dated from 1971 onwards are still legal tender in the UK.

The big bronze pennies issued from 1860-1967, if they are in average circulated condition (ranging from Poor-Fair for Victorian coins to EF-AU for Elizabeth II ones) are mostly worth copper scrap value only, and many local coin shops in the UK have huge boxes full of them priced at 10 pence per coin or even less. They are however popular with lots of collectors and you may well be able to sell them in mixed lots of eBay. Of course, Victorian pennies in Fine or better condition, scarce dates like 1950 and 1951 and the 1918 and 1919 H and KN coins would be worth selling individually and might interest a dealer.

I find old pennies make great conversation pieces - I often carry a few around and hand them out as souvenirs of England when travelling abroad. I would never trash them!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2965 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  07:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They're fun to have around--especially those with interesting toning and planchet issues. Sadly, common pennies won't be appreciating much. Enjoy them.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2217 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with all the above, but pennies make a wonderful collection and they are fun coins.

The history value is priceless, these coins circulated around the British empire as well as the UK and if coins could talk the stories they could tell. They are also one of the realest coins around as everyone from all social classes had them. These are contrasted to gold sovereigns and even my beloved Halfcrowns and Florins. Coins that were social history and 90% of them can be bought cheap.

Average conditions of the eras.

Victorian bun pennies 1860 - 1894, Poor (Date only) to VG, Fine/VF a bit better, EF or more are scarce.

Later Victorian Pennies - Widow head 1895 - 1901 - Good to Fine is usual EF or better is great

King Edward VII and King George V to 1922 - Average condition VG to Fine+, VF usually cheap most dates too. EF and better are scarce but not impossible

King George V 1926 - 1936, average condition of these coins with the higher rims (Except 1926 a less common year and often found more worn) is Fine + and 1930s coins are usually VF with most 1936 coins approaching EF. UNC coins fairly easy and lustre. F - VG exist as the coins were worth a bit less buying power by now and still got heavy use.

King George VI 1937 - 1949 - At least VF or better is collectible, EF is also a collectible and nice, UNC not unknown, again worn Fine coins exist

QE 2 1961 - 1967, Anything less than full lustre unirculated is common, although the very worst you see are gVF/aEF and many EF.

Dates are not complete as Pennies were not minted in 1923/25 and 1953/60. 1950 and 1951 pennies went to the West Indies and are scarce, 1953 were set only.

1933 is a very rare year and coins are worth thousands, fakes exist.

Halfpennies were minted through the 50s and are not rare for any dates.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  06:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reedbeard08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I much appreciate all who have replied - I figured they were worth more as metal than face value, so I will probably be handing out souvenirs to folks who may get reeled into coin collecting (oh no...) :)

RB
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 240Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05