Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Papal Medals Mystery

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1 / Views: 145Next Topic  

United States
14 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  10:56 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add angelo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am looking for some help from the Numismatic community. I have acquired approximately 250 Papal medals from an eBay seller in upstate New York. He acquired them, purportedly, from the sister of a Roman Catholic Cardinal after his death. I am currently preparing the Papal medals for inclusion into an auction at either Heritage or Bowers. There seems to be some consensus that says that if I could prove the provenance of the medals that they would be more sellable.

The last of the medals was the Papal medal of 2016, year four, of Frances reign. There were three Cardinals that died after 2015. One of them was Bernard Frances Law who was an only child, therefore, he could not have a sister that would have sold these metals

The other Cardinals were William Wakefield Baum and William Henry Keeler. I have been able to find out that Cardinal Keeler has two sisters both living in Toronto. The seller was very forthcoming in telling me that the sister who sold these medals wanted only cash and would not allow him to keep any of the photographs that she showed him showing the Cardinal receiving some of these medals from the Pope. He also showed me pictures of a chalice the was made from the Almy company in Spain for the Cardinal. I could not find out anything from them after repeated calls, except the for Cardinals Baum and Keeler, they bought shirts from them. Cardinal Baum also died in 2015, he might have received the 2016 medal, but I doubt it.

It's my guess that William Henry Keeler was the Papal medals collector however I have no proof of that, merely conjecture.

I have obviously looked through the Internet extensively, but I cannot find any reference to either of these two Cardinals being Papal medals collectors.

I am asking the community to help me to see if anyone out there knows for a fact which cardinal could've been the collector. I'm more than happy to take any PM but would love to start a conversation on the boards.

Thanks very much for all your help.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4583 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  11:06 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well you are certainly tapped into some of the best numismatic minds out there here. Hopefully someone can give you some assistance or at least head you in the right direction. Also some pictures would be cool to put a 'face' with the story.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
  Previous TopicReplies: 1 / Views: 145Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05