Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

George V Coin? I Can't Find Information About The Coin. (Id: Likely Jeweler's Copy)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 276Next Topic  

Bulgaria
5 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  11:42 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bubuto to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, I hope I hit the right section for the topic. I want to ask if you can give me a little more info about this coin. I checked the coin in a goldsmith's workshop and it corresponds to 22 carats of gold. The initials of the coin are found on the Internet. Some are on the collar of george V and others are up to a year for the back of the coin. My coin has no initials except for a small letter "a" under the portrait of George V and a small inscription 21k behind the ear of the portrait. I also attach photos. I can ask for information about the origin of the coin due to the difference in the vision of those in the internet.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54624 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a fantasy piece.

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
01/25/2021 11:47 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4402 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looks like a fantasy piece.

I'm inclined to agree.

Did your goldsmith actually XRF it, or just look up the correct gold content for a sovereign? I've never heard of a fantasy piece being labeled as less pure than it actually is.
Learn More...
United States
95801 Posts
Bulgaria
5 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bubuto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Zlatara did the test in front of me with a swab and acid. Confirm it is 22 carats
Pillar of the Community
Canada
8813 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not a genuine Sovereign.
Can't say if it is solid gold or a gold plated fantasy or souvenir coin.
Edited by JimmyD
01/25/2021 12:51 pm
Bulgaria
5 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bubuto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is not gilded, solid gold is 22 carats.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37671 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Weight? Diameter?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bulgaria
5 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bubuto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Diameter 22.05 weight 7.88gr
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2454 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Check alganbagerap's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like a jeweler's copy. Stamped 22k to show that it's not official coinage.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4402 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Diameter 22.05 weight 7.88gr

Pretty close to the real deal.

Quote:
Sounds like a jeweler's copy. Stamped 22k to show that it's not official coinage.

You may well be right, but why does the stamp say 21K?
Bulgaria
5 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  01:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bubuto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What do you think is the value of this coin?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
542 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  04:09 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely a Middle Eastern copy from the 1920s or 30s. The stamp is 21K and if that is right, that makes sense. Genuine sovereigns are made at 22K - the Middle Eastern bullion copies are often at slightly less, and an honest replica should be marked with the actual gold content. I have seen them stamped 21k many times before.
The jewellers acid test would not be able to distinguish between 21K and 22K as they are too close in content. 7.88g is also slightly down on the correct weight.
Provided it is 21K gold, the current bullion value is $411 or 301 or EUR338, but any jeweller will offer you less than that to allow for scrappage cost and their profit.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2195 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pure gold is 24 carat, not 22 carat. 22 carat is 0.916 gold which is sensible as pure gold is very soft and gold coins usually had silver or copper as a hardening agent.

Of course bullion is 99.9% etc, but it was not meant for circulation like gold coins of the past were.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 276Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05