Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

February 2020 RCM Releases

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,172Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
434 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  12:46 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Initial MC Notification of the Feb Release dropped last night.

$250 - 1kg pure Silver - 1912 Heraldic Design - Mintage 500 - $2,699.95
$2,500 - 1kg pure Gold - 1912 Heraldic Design - Mintage 40 - $105,000
$20 - 1oz pure Silver - Cross Pysanka Selective colours - Mintage 5,000 - $139.95
$250 - 58g pure Gold - Rooster Pysanka - Mintage 250 - $7,399.95
$50 - 5oz silver with yellow and rose gold selective plating - Maple Leaf 25 year anniversary of arboretum emblem - Mintage 1,500 - $649.95
$20 - 1oz Pure Silver - Commemorating Black Loyalists - Mintage 5,500 - $99.95
Specimen Set - 6 coins - Loon is "Blanding's Turtle" - Mintage 30,000 - $59.95
$5 - 1/4 oz Silver - Moments to Hold: Arms of Canada - Mintage 100,000 - $24.95 (Also as 1st in a 4 coin subscription)

Notes: The Silver Pysanka was noted under 2 listings, 1 was Low COA - Already Sold Out, the other is 89% sold and will sell out soon.

The 1912 Heraldic Design is noted as a follow on from last year's 1905 reimagined Arms of Dominion coin. The gold and silver appear identical except for size given gold's higher density. They are also noted as part of a centennial program celebrating 100th anniversary of the Arms of Canada.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5276 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for posting the February info.

Nothing for me this time around, but I have to say that I think the RCM is doing a good job re: its Moments to Hold collections. It's picking themes with wide appeal and creating a very solid easy-entry (i.e., inexpensive) collection for folks.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
01/27/2021 7:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
966 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thanks for posting the February info.

Same from me! Also, nothing this time for me either (thank-you). I WILL GET the Specimen Set, but I kind of already bought it last month when I 'subscribed' to the 3-piece offer that had the Specimen Set, the Bluenose silver dollar, and the 2021 'Classic' uncirculated set.
Naturally nothing has been shipped yet
Pillar of the Community
Canada
903 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add New1954 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW. So many expensive coins this month. Low certificate Pysanka sold out awhile ago and bought one of those and now the rest
of pysankas are SOLD OUT.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1255 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dcadon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$2,500 - 1kg pure Gold - 1912 Heraldic Design - Mintage 40 - $105,000

I'm Speechless.
during the Olympics Kg golds were about $65,000... did it really go up by 40%?
Last year's was $90K, AND 2019 was 'only' $75K... Can't say that I appreciate them - that much!
Not for me.
Valued Member
Canada
434 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
did it really go up by 40%

Yes. In 2010, an ounce of gold ranged from $1,000 - $1,400 USD Today it is $1,911 USD

The price of 1kg bullion today is $77,958 CDN. The price of $105K represents an almost 35% markup on bullion. This is a reasonable Proof minting premium when you compare to silver where the Pysanka that is currently flying off the shelf is at a 286% markup over bullion. Even the 1kg silver coin is 131% markup over bullion.

Gold is just expensive... They are only minting 40... but I expect it will sell out... I won't be buying one

Edited by vonigohcr
01/27/2021 2:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
621 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  06:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have to say that I think the RCM is doing a good job re: its Moments to Hold collections. It's picking themes with wide appeal and creating a very solid easy-entry (i.e., inexpensive) collection for folks.

Yikes, very expensive silver! Does anyone have recent stats for the actual/final mintage of these "100,000 mintage" products? I see the inexpensive products everywhere - PO, grocery stores, Shoppers, etc., and they seem to sit around there until the next batch is available. What happens to everything that does not sell?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5276 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yikes, very expensive silver!

I don't view this type of coin as a way to invest in silver. (In general, I don't view non-circulating legal tender (NCLT) coins to be a good precious metal investment.)

To me, the coins in the Moments to Hold series are a low-cost way - just $25 CAD - to get folks interested in collecting modern coins and to extend their interests beyond what can be pulled from circulation. IMO, the coins have appealing themes and are well-executed. For me, they work!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
01/28/2021 08:58 am
Valued Member
Canada
434 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't view this type of coin as a way to invest in silver.

NCLT, with one exception, should not be used to invest in a precious metal. Purchase and collect because it means something or moves you... NCLT is not an investment. There is an argument that even bullion coins such as ASE or Maple Leaf bullion issues are not the ideal PM investment... When investing, you want to purchase the item at the lowest price possible and for most PMs that is in bar form. When you look at the spread between purchase and sell, the spread tends to be least on bars. A local and reputable bullion dealer has the spread on 1oz Gold ML at $98CAD and 1oz Gold Bars at $95CAD using today's quotes.

There are examples of NCLT gaining in value but to be clear this is pure speculation, not investing... For every Pysanka or UFO or Ladybird there are tens of releases that fall in value after issue.

The one exception I noted above is where the purchase price of the NCLT has dropped to the point where it is equivalent to bullion... then the NCLT falls into the bullion classification... or less if it isn't pure. An example of this is the Gold $100 from the '70s and '80s were all issued at a then premium price but the appreciation in the value of gold over the intervening 30-40 yrs has the market value for these coins... for the most part... matching their bullion equivalent.

Quote:
What happens to everything that does not sell?

It gets melted. It is the advantage the RCM has over the grocery store. When bread doesn't sell, it is disposed of; silver and gold can be melted and put into the next year's product offerings. I also know of LCS who will send NCLT out to melt after it has sat on the shelf for too long.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1255 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dcadon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
vonigohcr wrote:
Quote:
It gets melted. It is the advantage the RCM has over the grocery store

I believed that was the policy a few years back, but more recently, I have often seen "found in the vault" or "Back in Stock" sales that I believe are the last effort to unload some of the NCLT that hasn't sold during their year of issue.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5276 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I believed that was the policy a few years back, but more recently, I have often seen "found in the vault" or "Back in Stock" sales that I believe are the last effort to unload some of the NCLT that hasn't sold during their year of issue.

While this may be true, it just delays the melting of unsold coins, it doesn't prevent it. For many RCM coins, there are some that remain unsold after every effort is expended - these are removed from their packaging and sent to be melted.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3314 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mint doesn't always produce the amount required for total allocation.. Say the coin is meant to be limited to 5,000.. they may do the coin in runs, depending on the demand..
Valued Member
Canada
192 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2021  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add onecad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We're in crazy times, I when to the CIBC site today and they are selling silver bars for $72/oz, likely $90 to have it in hand. Better off buying NCLT coins from the mint.
Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2021  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeyMouse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bank with CIBC but I find that TD has better prices for bullion.
Valued Member
Canada
434 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2021  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I when to the CIBC site today and they are selling silver bars for $72/oz

Quote:
I bank with CIBC but I find that TD has better prices for bullion.

While not a PM thread, I just looked at the bank PM sites today and their prices are nutz. CIBC is charging $63.18 and TD $52.37 for a 1 oz Silver Maple Leaf. A bullion dealer here in Vancouver vbce.ca/metals is charging $42.36. If this pricing is indicative, I would never purchase PM at a bank.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
621 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2021  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also LCS are closed right and they usually have good prices.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,172Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05