Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Current Foreign Coins Tough To Come By?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 235Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4742 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  1:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In another thread I mentioned I was collecting 1 coin from each country. That said, I am noticing most of what I am finding on eBay is older coins and nothing current. Why are current coins (2010's to now) so tough to come by?
Valued Member
Korea, Republic Of
450 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lembafc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can only speak for Korean coins and it breaks your 2010 rule, but the 1998 500 Won is extremely hard to acquire. Only 8,000 were made for mintsets and most are in the hands of collectors like me. Each one is worth around $1,000 in raw state and even more when graded MS. A post 2010 Korean coin that is hard to come by would be the 2010 500 Won rotated dies error. It is worth $150~$200.

Edit: I completely misread your question. LOL Sorry
Edited by Lembafc
01/26/2021 2:00 pm
Brazil
10 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lhlimaverde to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, speaking of my reality, a Brazilian who makes a collection of foreign coins:

I always find good finds in local numismatics, both in person and online.

I don't know where you are from, but I get a lot of recent coins like that, and at a good price.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1184 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That Coin Dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Modern coins are almost all intended for circulation in their respective nation, a lot of older coins have been demonetized and thus the government no longer actively prevents their international dispersion.
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if

My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you!
A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification.
I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://goccf.com/t/387871
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8136 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Few countries issue coins for circulation as regularly as the USA, and few countries release their coins so early in the year.

In the UK, no 2 coins have been issued for circulation since 2016, and no 2p pieces since 2017... and I have yet to find a 2017 one in change!

The only two foreign countries I spent any time in last year were South Africa and Costa Rica. I found one solitary 2019 SA 10c and the newest Costa Rican coin I found was dated 2017.

Often there are particular reasons why you never see recent dates of certain denominations. For example, in France, vast numbers of 50-cent and 1-euro coins were struck in 1999-2002 to prepare for the introduction of the Euro. At the end of 2002 the Banque de France still had huge numbers of the coins in stock, and there has been no need since to strike any more for circulation.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3317 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  05:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's a variety of factors.

Some could be the following:

1) some countries do not have their own mints and have to have coins made overseas.
2) coin usage is in decline due to rise of electronic payment
3) economy status of the country. Some countries may not be able to have the luxury of coins as there may have been huge inflations, cost of living have gone up etc
4) cost of striking coins may no longer be economical due to rising metal prices

There might be more but that's all I can think of at the moment.
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4399 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I understand your question, it is because circulating coins less than 10 years old are only worth their face value (unless they are in the high UNC grades and certified as such).

It is not worth it to sell and ship them on eBay, except for high denominations.

If you sell a coin for $1 on eBay, and charge 63 cents to cover basic 1st class postage, you only make abouit 50 cents on the sale.

Edited by tdziemia
01/27/2021 4:37 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 235Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05