Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Confederate Half Dollar/ Continental Currency Dollar Coin Real?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 361Next Topic  
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  5:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Goatmeal09 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My mothers grand father found these in a sewer in St.Louis. I've done minimal research on them and cannot find what a T means and am unsure of their authenticity.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54624 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both look like terrible replicas to me.

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
01/26/2021 6:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3726 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look like crude cast fakes
Learn More...
United States
18600 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@goat, first welcome to CCF. Second, I agree that these are fakes as there are difference between them and real specimens. Your confederate half dollar, for example, seems to have a "T" mintmark.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
3804 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen this "T" mark on many other replicas, dating back to the 1960's. I suspect that the "T" may be a maker's mark. Note that these coin/token copies were produced prior to the Hobby Protection Act of 1973 which required copies to be labeled as such.

Here's a COPY of an 1834 Hard Times token. Note the erroneous "1824" date and the "T" mark.

Most of the copies from this era have crude, pitted surfaces that deceptively give them an aged look. They were typically sold as novelty items at tourist attractions. The centennial years of the Civil War, 1961-65, sparked increased national interest in U.S. history.

BTW .... to the CCF!
Edited by ExoGuy
01/26/2021 8:20 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18112 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will make an exception to getting a fake Confederate Half Dollar. It is the only way I will ever get be able to own one. Provided the price is right.

I don't mind what the seller calls it, be a fake, copy, replica or whatever.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3804 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  06:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I will make an exception to getting a fake Confederate Half Dollar.

I know the feeling. That said, there are some more realistic looking fakes than the cast pieces. They're affordable, collectable and can serve as educational tools for more serious collectors.

Shy of being a multimillionaire, how else can one own a Brasher doubloon?
Edited by ExoGuy
01/27/2021 06:10 am
Learn More...
United States
95801 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17222 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I know why they were in the sewer. :)

The T could be a manufacturers mark, ot it could possibly mean "Toy".
Gary Schmidt
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 361Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05