Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1911 S/S Lincoln Wheat Cent RPM-001, FS-501

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 554Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3113 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  11:29 pm Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Picked this one for a lot of money. Plus side is it's a really strong coin, down side is that it almost certainly has had some type of cleaning done as there is no luster and has a very thin coat of some kind of oil to make it look better. I don't actually know what they put on them, but also not sure how to take it off without messing with with the coin.

I debated about returning the coin, as unsure it will grade straight, but decided to just eat the cost as it's such a nice example and would be hard to find a nicer one.

1911-S/S Lincoln Wheat cent RPM-001, FS-501

Bedrock of the Community
United States
37799 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  04:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it just me or are Lincoln cents from 09 to 1920 better looking?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54879 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Completely agree, those dies were incredible. Beautiful one, bats.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4740 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A beautiful example despite what cleaning may have been done. A very strong strike and strong example of this variety! Nice pick!

-CH27
Collector of U.S. varieties and errors
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4595 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  11:05 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I concur with everyone. What an perfect example.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
United States
1345 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  11:12 am  Show Profile   Check Kloccwork419's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Kloccwork419 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it was cleaned, It looks done correctly. I'm guessing Verdi-Care might be on the coin. Some people leave too much on the coin. A quick dip in acetone should clear up the extra thats on it. I dont think it will take away from getting graded. Thats a beauty.

Now the price you paid, is another story. I was on that coin too. I debated going higher but I'm on another mission for now. Not the first time you got me on a coin. I love how it looks and dont think there will be an issue grading, weigh your options. I think it will be at least MS63
Edited by Kloccwork419
01/27/2021 11:24 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48946 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well not all of them. One thing that helped to keep the look nicer was the wider rim on the outside edge of the coin. I discovered that this rim affected the dies differently on these years of coins than others. What was different? The die wear pattern on the date. We always see die wear on the side of the date devices showing the wear on the side of the devices facing the rim. But on these, It was the opposite side that was affected. What?

This had me wondering for years as to what caused this. But then it occurred to me what was different back then, was the wider rims causing the die wear pattern to be different.

CoopHome Die wear on the early Wheat Cents.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1345 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Check Kloccwork419's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Kloccwork419 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wish I could go back in time and see how mints were ran back then. Would be pretty cool. Now, almost all done with machines
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3113 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all! Sorry about busting you on this one Klocc but just too nice not to have a good go at it. I will submit it, just a question of which TPG. PCGS has been a pain of late with any minor thing but would certainly prefer they grade it. I tend to agree that if cleaned, it was done right and would fall into the characterization of conserved, not cleaned since it appears to show no altered color and no damage.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1377 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice RPM on a great looking semi key Lincoln.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1485 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Daves Errors to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice TB very nice congrats. Hey TB Will you Adopt me so I can have all them FINE coins when you go to that coin heaven in the sky
Edited by Daves Errors
01/27/2021 2:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3113 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well Dave, now that would solve my wife's problem of what to do with all these coins when I fall down a deep pit in some bat cave in Borneo and meet my doom.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1485 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Daves Errors to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well alrighty then it's settled new DAD what time is Dinner. I'm on my way home LOL. Knowing you you'll fall in a shallow pit and find some rare coins in that cave in Borneo
Edited by Daves Errors
01/27/2021 9:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3113 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're late for dinner! And the only rare thing I found in a cave in Borneo was a new species of cave gecko. That was cool, but not exactly a sack of gold.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1485 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Daves Errors to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love Gecko's BUT I would love a sack of GOLD much better
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3113 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I was pretty focused on the gecko so maybe I missed something when I was there.

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 554Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.76 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05