Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1870 NFLD 10c - Nice Or Not Nice?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 449Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
498 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  7:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I think it's pretty nice. What's more, in my experience this is a difficult to find in decent shape. The reverse has a tendency to be poorly struck for example. It ain't cheap but maybe an opportunity? I'm curious to hear your grade estimates oh sages of online coin grading...

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3316 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ef 40,obverse 2. fully valued at 1,400$.. never , ever get your money back out of it, at that price, plus taxes..
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1182 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF30 IMO
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8285 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  12:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wish there was VF35 in Canadian grading.
There isn't, so EF40 it is.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
605 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  09:03 am  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its a beauty, of course, but there's a lot of discrepancy and subjectivity in defining an ungraded coin like this that may sit between VF30 and EF40.

This one is rare, very rare and aged so nicely. The only thing I'd be wary of is trying to resell it if you pay a high EF40 premium, since some people don't see the value in the dark toning. Some people just wont bid unless its shiny.

So yes, I definitely buy it, but only at the right price.
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rubenbeagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super nice!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3419 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's very hard to try to grade something with a photo on the internet ... you have to see coins in hand. Most people are lucky to get in a 10 point grade spread for coins less than AU and within 3 once it hits MS. You have a great looking coin that is fairly scarce. Grade it the way you think it is, taking the grades above as ammo.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1056 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF-40 for me
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54858 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF-40 for me as well.
Valued Member
Canada
498 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, I'm stranded between @Silverwolf and @TheDeductable. Anyone NFLD aficionado would recognize this as a uniquely good 1870 10c. The strike on those guys is generally quite poor ad the grads track accordingly (if you're PCFS anyway). There are are AU58s where the N is barely visible. ICCS has this at EF-40 and the consensus view here is in that range.

The difficult thing is that the price is stiff: $1,400, which is exactly as suggested for an EF-40 in the trends. My personal take is that the prices in Trends are ~30-40% above what you should normally pay. Normally I would write this one off for that reason excepting that, as I say, it's a uniquely solid strike and pretty well conserved. The problem is that there may only be a few people in the world who would care!

Anyway, thanks for all your input folks - very helpful as always.
Valued Member
Canada
498 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's no button to make an offer but I'm thinking I might write to the guy who is selling it and make one anyway. Can't hurt right?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3419 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
Canada
498 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Okiecoiner - so, there you go. a VF-30 with some surface pitting (and I would say also a good scrubbing!) that sold for $1,050...these things aren't cheap!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
605 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well its sure beats my 1870 at G4 lol

If you have the $ and you like it go for it!

And nothing wrong with contacting a seller to see if you can strike a deal, even if the 'make offer' button isn't there. Ive done it myself successfully.

Cheers!
Learn More...
Canada
9554 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the original colour on that coin, and you don't see them in nicer grades that often. Whether or not you see your money back, well, that is the difference between collecting and dealing in coins. I have bought lots of coins that I will never see my money back on - only because I wanted to have them, or I know that if I passed on them, it would be a long time before seeing more...
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1182 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  03:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SPP you hit the nail on its head....
well said!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 449Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05