Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1942 D Lincoln 1c Struck Over 1942 Canceled Plastic Pattern?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 348Next Topic  
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  1:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coinadiction to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
1942 D penny

Weight is 2.78g. There were experimental strikes at this weight (plastic patterns 42gr)
It's not damaged or a rusted up one as I've seen in posts.
I have several 1942 d pennies that all weigh correct 3.11 or within acceptable range
Some of which are in way worse condition so I know it's not anything to do with that
I do have several pictures and in a few of them I feel I see a pattern image in the coin itself I've been searching for answers for weeks to the point I made this account today lol so any help would appreciated I do not believe one of these have ever been discovered if it could be what I hope although I know there is probably a safe explanation to what I have I've only begun my life long love of coins a year ago so I'm still some what fresh.

Edited by Coinadiction
01/28/2021 2:31 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38486 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. We will need a full coin photo of the obverse and a full coin photo of the reverse as well as one or two close up where needed.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinadiction to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I finally figured out the photo deal
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinadiction to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It my just be my lack of knowledge but I find it interesting alll the different colors that it changes do to angle and or lighting
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17300 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The problem is the coin is copper and not plastic. Most of the plastic pieces were injection molded and wouldn't have survived being struck in a coining press. The reinforced resin "plastic" piece were struck but for the most part did not accept images well and would not have looked like a copper cent. I think you have a worn copper cent struck on a slightly rolled thin planchet and any "pattern" designs you are seeing are the result of numismatic Pareidolia.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3052 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin does not look plastic to me
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55849 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps just a light planchet to start with. It happens.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1743 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure what you mean by "struck over 1942 canceled plastic pattern". Your coin is only about 11% light so that's not definitive evidence of some other composition. None of the 1942 experimental cents have mint marks or were struck in Denver so that makes this coin highly unlikely to be anything other than a lighter than normal regular cent. You could have somebody do an XRF on it to determine composition if you wanted to I guess.

Buy a copy of Roger Burdette's book "Patterns & Experimental Pieces of WWII" to further your interest/knowledge.
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinadiction to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It may not be plastic that's just the only weight I could find that matched. so definitely could be something else. it's not a thin penny it's all I'll post a pic of another 1942 d that has more wear on it then this yet is still above 3.05g . Have y'all heard of any thin rolled coins that weigh this low ? I'm .2 under the low tolerance of 2.98 for
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinadiction to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can ever only find overweight thick rolled planchet errors of this year
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinadiction to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://goccf.com/t/366925 Last year this 42 was posted on here weighing 2.8 and it's obviously very damaged thats my only reason to rule out it being planchet swear for now
Learn More...
United States
97989 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38486 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  05:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a bunch of info on rolled thin planchet,skip the first few that are ads https://www.coincommunity.com/numis...t&gsc.page=1
John1

PS;mint tolerance is +/- .13 grams
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 348Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05