Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

RCM Commemorative Silver Dollars "By The Numbers" - January 2021 Update

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 1,179Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7515 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2021  1:46 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've been presenting a "By the Numbers" post about Canada's modern NCLT 36 millimeter commemorative silver dollars since back in 2012. Typically, I provide an update every two years (the even years). I decided to do one this year, however, mostly because I wanted to correct an error in my previous snapshot of the SDs and to add a new Finish category. Here's a link to my 2020 post in case you'd like to compare: By The Numbers 2020 .

The correction I've included has to do with the Finish of the silver dollar in the 2004 Ile Sainte-Croix Coins and Stamps Set. The SD in the set is a Brilliant Unicirculated coin; I had been listing it as a Proof. The snapshot below gets it right! The new Finish that has been added is "Reverse Proof" and it was added specifically for the 2021 Peace dollar.

Back in 2012, I listed 58 design types and 103 total SDs in a complete collection. The numbers have steadly increased over the years, with 84 design types and 146 total coins now needed for completion. As with past lists, large-format coins (e.g., Renewed Silver Dollar series) are not included in this census, nor are the smaller silver Loon dollars - just 36 mm SDs from 1971 through January 31, 2021. Also, the 2012 Two Loons colourized SD is not included - it is larger, at 38 mm in diameter, than the other coins on the list.

The RCM has stated that the Bluenose centennial will be celebrated with multiple coins released during the year. I wonder if a colourized Bluenose SD is in the pipeline?

The silver dollar series is the RCM's longest-running commemorative coin series and offers a reasonable collecting challenge to those who decide to pursue it! While all of the coins are available, finding nice examples of the earlier issues can sometimes be a little difficult due to their improper handling over the years. I can personally vouch for the fact that it is an attractive set when viewed as a whole.

As I've stated previously, I use this data table to track the different categories of RCM 36 mm SDs. It should be thought of as a category census rather than an issue-by-issue collecting checklist or value tracker. The data is meant only to define and quantify the various 36 mm SDs issued by the RCM.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
588 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2021  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Again an outstanding summary of the 36mm SD series.

While I won't dispute your data... it is correct allowing for the minor differences in diameter from 35.9mm, 36mm, 36.07 and 36.15mm... I usually include both the 2012 pair of loons at 38mm and the 2019 Matthew Piedfort at 34 mm in my SD collection. Quite simply they fit my trays and are not too different... at least in comparison to loon sized dollars, "Big" dollars or "Renewed" dollars. The challenge I have is the 2 Peace dollars (2020 & 2021). As they are higher relief than the Sun or Poppy dollars, the capsule they are encased in is too tall for my trays...

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
588 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2021  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@commems

One query... The RCM has noted that there are six circulating 36mm SDs that are also considered commemorative: the 1935 original issue, 1939 Royal Visit, 1949 Matthew, 1958 BC Centennial, 1964 Charlottetown and 1967 Canadian Centennial/Coleville. Do you think you should expand your list to include these or are you limiting inclusion strictly to the Non-Circulating issues.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7515 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2021  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
One query... The RCM has noted that there are six circulating 36mm SDs that are also considered commemorative: the 1935 original issue, 1939 Royal Visit, 1949 Matthew, 1958 BC Centennial, 1964 Charlottetown and 1967 Canadian Centennial/Coleville. Do you think you should expand your list to include these or are you limiting inclusion strictly to the Non-Circulating issues.

I maintain a separate list for the circulating commemorative SDs. I'll clean it up and post it here as well.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7515 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2021  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I usually include both the 2012 pair of loons at 38mm and the 2019 Matthew Piedfort at 34 mm in my SD collection. Quite simply they fit my trays and are not too different.

I've read your mention of this before. I certainly understand your reasoning, I've just decided I would prevent unintended scope creep by not straying from 36 mm. (My dark little secret, however, is that I did buy one of the Two Loons SDs when they were released back in 2012. I just don't keep it with my 36 mm SDs. )

Canada
19 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add applesauced to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, Thanks alot!!! Here I thought I was getting close to a complete collection with my 77 SD's, only to find out I'm not even close. Looks like another 70ish to go...

All jokes aside commems, I really appreciate all the knowledge and background you share about the Canadian SD's

Edited by applesauced
12/02/2021 11:48 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7515 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@applesauced: Thank you! Stay tuned for the 2022 update!

Edited by commems
12/02/2021 3:38 pm
Canada
10 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2022  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add slarti42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes, please post update for 2022, very interesting
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
588 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2022  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There have been a number of replies and other comments on this topic... To add context, I am sharing my $1SD collection. I have 149 coins shown here... @commems reports 146 but the differences are: I have 2022 (to date +2) and I also include the 38mm two loons +1 and 2019 Matthew +1. Extracting these gets me to 145. I also don't include the Peace dollars as they don't fit these trays. This leaves a single coin discrepancy which I believe is that @commems list is missing the 2021 BU dollar which hadn't been released when he originally posted this.

Apologies in advance on the quality of the images as these are wide shots and I find it difficult to manage reflections in the proof coins on such images.

I use the Lighthouse trays in the lighthouse cabinet.

1971-1985 (20 coins - 15 years)

1986-1995 (20 coins - 10 years)

1996-2003 (20 coins - 8 years)

2003-2007 (20 coins - 5 years)

2007 - 2011 (20 coins - 5 years)

2012 - 2015 (20 coins - 4 years)

2016 - 2019 (20 coins - 4 years)

2019 - 2022 (9 coins 4 years so far)
Edited by vonigohcr
02/23/2022 3:30 pm
Canada
19 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2022  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add applesauced to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks @vonigohcr. With the help of @commems posts, I was able to increase my collection from 77 SD's to what I thought was a complete set. Looks like I am missing a couple.

Could you let me know what these two are?

TIA
Canada
19 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2022  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add applesauced to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I figured it out. They are not the traditional 36mm, so that's why I don't have them as part of my SD collection.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
588 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2022  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@applesauced... You are correct... my collection is more of a Silver Dollar than 36mm Silver dollar series. As I noted above, they are the 2012 38mm Two Loons and the 2019 34mm Piedfort Matthew. I keep them with the others as the size is close enough that they fit the trays. The Peace dollars fit the openings but because of the deeper capsule, they don't fit the tray when closed so I keep those coins separate.

As you can see from the 1st pic, I have Loon dollars in a different tray as they just don't fit the 36mm tray.
Edited by vonigohcr
02/23/2022 2:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
675 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2022  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@vonigohcr, excellent collection! Thanks for posting.

We use the same trays.
Valued Member
United States
364 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2022  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raised on rock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Impressive display of the 36mm silver dollar series.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 1,179Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: