Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Counterfeit Detection: 1880 Shield Nickel

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 282Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1411 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2021  10:55 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
NGC - A counterfeiter's effort to fake the date on this coin comes up a little short.

In 1880, the US Mint struck 3,955 Proof and 16,000 Mint State Shield nickels. Interestingly, those numbers represent the second-highest mintage of the series for Proof coins, and the lowest mintage of the series for circulation issue pieces.

Although they had a higher mintage, the Mint State coins fetch a far bigger premium in today's marketplace. For example, just this January an NGC AU 55 example sold for nearly $4,000 while an NGC PF 66 brought only $1,020 in the same auction.

This 1880 Proof Shield nickel brought $1,020 at auction in January 2019.

Due to the extremely large price difference between the Mint State and Proof coins, as well as between this date and other dates, NGC graders must remain extremely vigilant in looking for counterfeits and alterations.

Recently, a Mint State example of this rare coin was submitted by a collector for certification.

Altered 1880 Shield Nickel

Unfortunately for the submitter, the coin they sent in was not a genuine 1880 Shield nickel.

At first glance, the coin already looks concerning. The surfaces have clearly been altered as they have an odd matte-like appearance with no luster. That alone would immediately raise the suspicions of the grader that perhaps this is a Proof altered to appear Mint State.

However, that is not the case. Instead, take a closer look at the date.

Close-up of altered date on 1880 Shield nickel.

As you can see, the "0" in the date looks much smaller and has a different surface texture than the other three digits. This is due to the fact that the counterfeit date was likely accomplished by a forger using the metal that was there from the original date. Looking at the mintage figures, it seems very likely that the coin may have originally been dated 1882, 1883, or even 1870 as those coins had mintages of 11.4 million, 1.4 million and 4.8 million, respectively.

Clearly, this would be a profitable endeavor for a counterfeiter, as the Guide Book of United States coins (the Red Book) lists the G-4 values of the 1870, 1882 and 1883 issues at $25 to $30, whereas the 1880 in the same grade is $1,500!

It is possible that the counterfeiter had to alter the entire surfaces of this coin to make his efforts to change the date less obvious. Still, this coin was not a particularly well-done alteration. It was clearly deceptive enough, however, to slip by at least one collector. This is why it is important to always closely inspect the date or mintmark on rare dates or date and mintmark combinations.

Read More: Counterfeit Detection Series

Check out Shield Nickels on ebay.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56012 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2021  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting. The other 3 digits look a bit crude themselves, at least to my eye.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
484 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2021  11:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add td5173 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the information.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4754 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2021  11:45 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. I am by far no expert or even experienced novice. The alteration of the zero looks really good to me. I would need to have a lot of coins pass through my hands day after day after day to be able to pick out such an alteration. Thanks for the article and great information.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
United States
1745 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2021  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They all appear to have the same date position with the 8 up against the knob at the bottom of the shield. Heritage says proof & business strikes all came from the same dies. So that would immediately rule this coin fake. I'm surprised NGC didn't mention that.

MS65 from HA - $50,400
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1927 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2021  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One possibility is that the counterfeiter intentionally damaged the "188" to make it look like the date was damaged in circulation. An undamaged "188" and damaged "0" would stick out like a sore thumb.

I wonder if he put it in a rock tumbler?
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 282Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05