Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1862 IHC Oddity / Expertise, If You Please?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 167Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...

United States
238 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  2:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kcm to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Backstory: A few days past, in my post, I mentioned Ed's collection, a complete IHC album I purchased in the late '70's. Mind in absentia, guided by Ed, I put the finishing touches to it by adding the few missing keys.

@suipakpaikungfu asked me to post up the whole thing on CCF. I hadn't visited Ed's collection in a while. @suipakpaikungfu reawakened my erstwhile plan to explore the five oddities Ed placed in five unlabeled slots at bottom of the last page.

The oddities are dated 1862, 1872, 1879, 1900, and 1908. I'll post one coin at a time in hope that - having lost both beloved Ed and Ed's wisdom to the march of time - I might recover insight from experts on CCF.1862 is appended to this post; 1872, 1879, 1900, and 1908 will follow in separate posts.

Failure on my part to reveal my inexpert assumptions about these coins to the experts would be disingenuous and also sidestep the fun I find in being expertly corrected.

!862: I assume this is PMD, but that, to me, is like suggesting Michelangelo damaged the ceiling of the Cistine Chapel by spilling paint all over it. Please indulge me with your knowledge - or, perhaps, your assumptions?

Please disregard the glare from the tiny neodyium magnets I used to set up the shot of the coin's edge

Kevin

Given the option of choosing between a very interesting coin or a rather valuable one, I'd choose the former every time . My vexation lies in the fact that the two so often coincide.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56029 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can only assume that this is a deliberate alteration for whatever reason. The notching gaps are not even regular.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4757 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  3:01 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am no expert myself but I too would assume PMD too.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38550 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems to be some type of PMD. Maybe it was in a bezel of some kind? I do not see that happening at the mint.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1688 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Back in the day coins were carved to make pie crust crimpers. Your coin may have been a start of one that was never finished.
Everything can change in just one day.........
Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Edited by Rothery
02/16/2021 3:32 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
238 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kcm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fabulous feedback! I especially appreciate the image of the Indian Head piecrust crimper. I'm studied into Rick Snow's first volume at 1862. I've always held a tight grasp of history but Rick's mapping of the history I devoured by his narrative's restricted reference to minting and coinage is somehow new for me. 1861: Lincoln inaugurated; South Carolina's legislature votes unanimously to secede. 1862: Lincoln attempts to resupply Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor. etc.

The nation suddenly at war with itself.... The devices on that coin -- UNITED STATES OF AMERICA?!? Not in that year; maybe nevermore! The sudden perceived need to hoard and protect coinage quickly leading to scraps of government issued paper marked 25 cents, 50 cents etc. (fractional currency). Ergo, the idea of the coin being modified to be secured in a bezel also feels awful good to me. Yes, a coin / no not a coin. Coins have waxed precious

This far along in discussion, I wonder how this "damage" was accomplished. Given the condition of the edge, the "grade of the pre-damaged coin, and the uniformity of the spacing, I'm thinking the coin must have been re-inserted into a (post-mint -- machine shop) press and re-struck using commercial shop dies. Fun guessing!

Kevin
Given the option of choosing between a very interesting coin or a rather valuable one, I'd choose the former every time . My vexation lies in the fact that the two so often coincide.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 167Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05