Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Way To Make Overlays For The Newer Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 344Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50648 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  7:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Through the years, I've made my overlays that is the most helpful way. In the past they looked like this:

While these were easier to do, they kind of made it a bit muddled in the center where everything was needing to be seen. So I tried to remove the clutter in center, because the centers of the devices are the most important. Next to the bust area and the outer areas of the reverse designs. So I tried to make them a bit better:

Adding a little color to enhance the details a bit better.

The color help a little bit more and more:

Altering the rotated and flipped (the overlay) with the only color different. Well always trying to make them even better, I tried using proof coins to get a better set of images:

I reduced the design down to the basics, which took a lot more time erasing some areas.

But with the newer design of quarters, the proof coins are made differently now. They frosting on them seem too strong and on an overlay they looked too weak. So I'm trying something different now. Using a business strike coin, with the overlay of a proof coin. (The design is the same on both, just different finishes added during the strike process. But I can color the proof ones darker. So what doe you think?

Let me know if you have any other suggestions.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
308 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSation to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dam*. Nice - You put a lot of work into this [as with all your other illustrations].

Thank you.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1352 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Check Kloccwork419's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Kloccwork419 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the cent most. Looks really good. That red pops
The blue and purple on the quarters too
Edited by Kloccwork419
02/17/2021 8:24 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18419 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can be a useful technique to assist with the investigation of opposite side ghosting.

Same side overlaying would also be a powerful tool in die variation investigations, and the detection of counterfeit and fake coins.
Edited by sel_69l
02/18/2021 12:01 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50648 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2021  06:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also where on the other side to look for damage pushing outwards on a coin. Why is that helpful? If it doesn't push out, then it could be a mint error, on a struck through coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50648 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2021  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Richard S. Cooper

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50648 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
New one I made today for a discussion on a quarter, that turns out to have been damaged. The overlay helped solve the issue:

The unique thing is the erasing off the unwanted areas is a lot quicker when I use a Business strike die and a Proof die. The proof die keeps the color better and the shiny areas are easier erase. Cuts the time in half or more.
Richard S. Cooper

United States
49 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Durwood to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good job, coop. Very useful.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2848 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's my latest overlay.

Click the picture for a larger image

@coop What percentage of transparency do you use on the top layer? Is it a set amount or do you vary it by each coin?
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Edited by Yokozuna
02/19/2021 8:22 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50648 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Normal base image. Layer at 50%. The newer proofs with the laser cameos save a lot of time building the layers. Erase the shiny parts and keeps the small letters easily. Erase the centers and your done.
Richard S. Cooper

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2848 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
coop said...

Quote:
Normal base image. Layer at 50%. The newer proofs with the laser cameos save a lot of time building the layers. Erase the shiny parts and keeps the small letters easily. Erase the centers and your done.

Fantastic! Thanks for the information!
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50648 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does it seem that there are few die clashes, on the new coins?
Richard S. Cooper

Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 344Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05