Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Look At The Philadelphia Mints

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 259Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1411 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  10:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
PCGS - Having spent much time in the Philadelphia area, I can tell you this: it's truly the heart of U.S. numismatics and a living museum of American history. Besides, Philadelphia is the home of the fictional Sylvester Stallone boxing hero "Rocky Balboa," the capital of some very real cheesesteak hoagies, and then there's Wawa. And if you've got to look up what "Wawa" is, you probably don't know jawn about Philly.

What many numismatists do know about Philadelphia is that it's where Founding Father Ben Franklin spent most of his life and it's the place where one can still see the famous Liberty Bell and Independence Hall - all subjects portrayed on United States coinage. What's more, all (including the grave of Franklin) are within mere steps of the United States Mint in Philadelphia.

Here I am in 2017 gesturing toward a plaque mounted near the corner of Seventh Street and Arch Street in Philadelphia, commemorating the location of the first United States Mint. Image is courtesy of Joshua McMorrow-Hernandez.

Read the Entire Article
Valued Member
United States
265 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Check Diy89Nurm7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Diy89Nurm7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A nice trip down memory lane. Not too far from Betsy Ross' house as well.

I used to live on Joizy side. Too bad the mint tour doesn't give out free samples! On the way out of Philly years ago you could go north on 95, roll down the windows just north of the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge and smell the chocolate factory. Not a bad place to be stuck in traffic.

Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7
Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7
Pillar of the Community
United States
4215 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
United States
33 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BearlyHere to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had no idea there were four. Hope they got it right this time.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
557 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't know about the mint history until I visited the Philly mint a couple years ago. I highly recommend checking it out if and when you are able to.
Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 259Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05