Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This Coin In Your Lincoln Set ?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 59 / Views: 2,004Next Topic
Page: of 4
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15179 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  2:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
How many Lincoln Wheat cent collectors on this forum missing only the 1909 S-VDB ? And what is your main reason why ?
For me it's only because I could never justify the cost of obtaining one ,and I would never bother with just a hole filler .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8510 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've owned about half a dozen over the last 2 years though never with the intention of keeping them. Prices have generally gone up over the past year. A coin that I think previously would have sold for no more then $600 is now selling for $700-$800
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Valued Member
United States
157 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  3:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hermz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Buying it takes the fun away, but I also understand the chance of finding a wild one would be next to none of at all. But people have told me the same thing about silver half's and I've found more then one in the wild in my time of collecting the last couple years. I agree the price to me of buying one isn't worth it unless that's something you're really wanting or gonna hold to resell at a chance of profit. All I'm saying is that the feeling of finding something is greater then buying, I've bought some wheat pennies before and it was boring to go through because I like the thrill of the hunt. Ok ramble over haha. Hope all is well with people.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3685 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I finally finished my set with one a few years ago. We got a small inheritance from my in-laws and my wife said we should both take a little of that and buy something with it. So I got my S-VDB as a remembrance of two great people who are no longer with us.

Valued Member
United States
157 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hermz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks nice kenkat
Pillar of the Community
United States
3381 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have one but its nowhere as nice as Ken's.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1247 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not have one - yet. I would like to get one as it is the ONLY hole in my collection of Lincoln cents. (not counting error coins like the 1955 Doubled die).

I do have and issue with the price though, which is the only reason I don't have it yet.
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
Pillar of the Community
United States
1002 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I am one of the (probably) many here who only have one hole to fill in their Lincoln Cent Set, and we all know what coin that is.
I've had the opportunity to pick one up several times, as this coin is not really rare, but I just can't justify popping out that kind of cash for a small blotch of copper. It will either take a miracle find or a huge lottery win before I ever acquire this coin.
I'm almost at that point of collecting coins where ALL the remaining holes to fill are "big boys". I've spent stupid amounts (for me at least) in the past for some coins, but my budget barely has enough for the house payments, utilities, food, etc, for me to complete my sets.
Good luck to those who do have play money!
Valued Member
United States
157 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hermz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hjc- Find that one or buy?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3381 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hjc- Find that one or buy?

Find one? No one finds a 1909 S VDB. I once looked through 3000 Lincoln Wheat Cents that a neighbor had saved from his grandmother, who was alive in 1909. Of the 3000 Wheat Cents, there were 0 key dates, the oldest was a 1909 VDB, the rarest (semi key) where a few teen S mint. No 1931 S, no 1914 D not 1909 S.

I picked it up a few years ago when they weren't as expensive as now. I got it from a Coin Shop in Indiana.

I also picked up the 1931 S and 1914 D for my first LWC collection. The below was my first collection, it took decades to get these originally.

My 2nd set, I completed in 2 years.

Edited by hfjacinto
02/19/2021 5:14 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2211 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I too got mine after receiving a small inheritance when my mom passed, PCGS XF45. Still have the hole in my album so it almost seems like I still need one.

Learn More...
United States
99075 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am missing this and the 22 plain. I have several of both on my watch list. I might be able to get one or the other if I can keep from giving too much money to the US Mint this year.
Valued Member
United States
157 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hermz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hjc- just a question, Yes or no would've worked fine.

Glad to see your set though, looks good!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3685 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am missing this and the 22 plain.

One of these days I hope I can convince you to give up your pursuit of this weak strike disguised as a real date/mintmark, jbuck

I know, ain't happening'
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2294 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've owned 2.....3? , just down to one now, PCGS F15. Was passed down from my grandmother and will never part with it.

Only one missing from my 1909-2009 set is the 22 no d, for the same reason listed by Ken...... can't justify spending that much on a VLDS 1922 D!! Maybe someday though just bc that hole will eventually drive me crazy enough.
Valued Member
United States
271 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Check Diy89Nurm7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Diy89Nurm7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good topic. For me personally, I am concerned about overpaying for a 1909-S VDB. So, if I found one for a good price I probably would buy it. But, given the possibility of fakes selling for a low price to entice a victim, I'd rather spend the funds on a bunch of other coins. I, too, would likely sell A 1909=S VDB in time to pay bills if the price went up enough.

Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7
Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 59 / Views: 2,004Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05