Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Some Confustion About The Correct Air-Tite For 1 Oz. Silver Buffalos

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 146Next Topic  
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  02:56 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Gaidzahg to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I know, I know, you're probably thinking why doesn't this idiot just go to the Air-tite site and look at their chart. I did.

But here's the thing. Their chart says that the proper container is the H40.6. But they have the coin listed as a 40.6 mm diameter coin, and it seems to actually be a 39 mm coin. All other sites like APMEX that sell the coin point you to the H39 air tite.

I'm thinking the Air-Tite site is in error. Can anyone confirm this for me? Thanks
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37631 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  04:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Can you call the Air-Tite company?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18105 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  06:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will take a step sideways.
I have a few coins in air-tights, but they are somewhat different:

I use ex British Royal Mint screw seal acrylic capsules that were originally used for their individual proof coins
These capsules come is a range of sizes. Since they are recycled, originally for individual proof issues or broken proof sets, I buy them very cheaply from my LCS. The screw seal is very positive, and very secure.
Learn More...
United States
31623 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  07:20 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Which "silver buffalo"?

The 40.6 is for the American Silver Eagle. The 39 is for "silver round" or "copper round".
Show your appreciation for the Coin Community Family (click here)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5214 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with nss-52...

The US Mint doesn't strike a silver Buffalo coin - only silver Eagle bullion coins and they are 40.6 mm in diameter. (The Mint does strike gold Buffalo coins, however).

It appears you are confusing a privately-minted silver round that replicates a coin design struck by the US Mint with an actual US coin. The 39mm diameter you mention is the primary standard for silver rounds; it seems like that is what you have (multiple private mints strike rounds with the Buffalo design).

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  12:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gaidzahg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies. I am confused though. The coin I have is definitely a third party silver round. But is the silver eagle from the mint also known as a silver buffalo? I'd never heard that but I am new to the hobby.

I took a screen shot of what I was looking at on the air-tite site. I probably should have done that the first time. It has 1 oz silver buffalo listed as 40.6 mm. But if that isn't a synonym for the silver eagle, then I'm going to assume from what nss-52 and commems said that it's gotta be a mistake.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  12:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gaidzahg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@sel_69l I'll look into those, screw tite would be pretty convenient.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 146Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05