Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Discussion: Will The 2000 New Hampshire Quarter Ever Be Worth Anything?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 211Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  08:52 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Yorkish to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good morning CoinCommunity!

I was looking through some pocket change and encountered a 2000 New Hampshire "Man In The Mountain" Quarter. Being from New England, it sparks a lot of nostalgia for me, having seen him a great many times in my life. I then recalled how he fell on May 3rd, 2003. RIP Man In The Mountain. He has been gone almost a full 18 years now, and there are entire generations who never got to see him in his glory.

After I was done reminiscing on the nostalgic piece of it, I got to thinking about how this quarter was designed to portray a national landmark, and how that landmark is no longer there. Being still fairly new to coins and coin collecting, I am not sure exactly how coin valuation is done in regards to things like this. Being that the Man In The Mountain is gone, does this mean that the 2000 New Hampshire Quarter will be worth more than its face value over time? (I understand that most coins in great shape will increase in value over time, but I wonder if this one will increase based on the fact that it documents a piece of national history that is no longer around?)

What do you all think? I'm eager to hear your opinions!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1960 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  09:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of the more enjoyable aspects of coin collecting is the nostalgia for me as well, so I can relate!

As for the value, I see no increase due to that. The obverse also has a piece of history not around!

So many were minted, only your high grade examples will hold their premium.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2926 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good story. I wouldn't count on any uptick in value (beyond today's level)--unless thousands of people in the greater Maine/Vermont/New Hampshire region hoard every last one of these coins they come across. Consider that 1,169,016,000 New Hampshire coins were minted a couple decades ago.

Now, if you could find an example with heavy die cracks passing through The Man In The Mountain...
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yorkish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's fair lol in regards to Washington. But Washington was a man rather than a landmark, I wonder if the two are comparable.
Pillar of the Community
United States
977 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Setting a value on modern coinage is tricky. Over time, and by that many years, a significant amount seems out of the question. However, as one who participates in the Heritage Auctions I did a quick check on past sales. One sold in 2007, graded ANACS AU for $6 and another grading PCGS MS68 closed at $67, while a record $307 (at least for Heritage) was paid for an NGC MS68 in 2013.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Edited by Ballyhoo
02/20/2021 10:01 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17222 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let's put it this way. With a mintage of over 1.1 billion coins, every man, woman, and child in the country can have THREE of them. If the population of the country were to triple there would still be enough that every single person could have one. With availability like that they will NOT be getting any significant value over face value.
Gary Schmidt
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 211Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05