Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2020 D Jefferon Nickel DDR Or MD?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 225Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
344 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  4:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Opened a new roll of nickels and first afew nickels looked like slight DDR or MD, but then I found this. All lettering and even the steps looked doubled. Just want to make sure because the rest of the roll looks like this. I looked at my other 202 Ds and they look perfectly normal.

Pillar of the Community
United States
944 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
maybe, but to confirm doubling we'll need better closeups of the suspect areas
Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok I will tr
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48693 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There was some images, of a EDS die state on the full images. A great looking OBV and REV. But these are all Single squeeze dies. So to look for a doubled die, the areas to check are in the opposite areas than what your looking at. On the nose area for the DDO and on the central area DDR by the door. Those are the correct areas.
Obverses:

Reverses:

So forget looking at other areas of the design, like the way it used to be done. (save your eyes) Look at the right areas to find them.

CoopHome: Nickel Doubled dies on single squeeze coins
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
02/20/2021 8:30 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
416 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add td5173 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you coop more great information you are the best.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48693 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sure there are a lot of the doubled dies that have not been found yet on the single squeeze dies. Halves probably had not been found yet. I'll Check out Wexler pages to see what is found so far. The last listing is 1992 on them. (Just before the single squeeze dies) So there are probably missed so far.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Edited by coop
02/20/2021 7:49 pm
Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh man I wish I knew this 8hrs ago. What year did they switch to the single sqeeze? Thanks for sharing this. I will be reading on this and my eyes thank you.
United States
40 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  08:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PPorro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just found this question, hopefully on the similar topic of Jefferson Errors: 1989 was the last year of the hand-punched mint-marks on US coins.

I am not anything close to an authority, but I did find this quite convincing: "It could have been as early as the later part of 1985 but we can only be sure that at least by 1986 dies were being made via this process. Their statement makes clear that by 1986 the process had been used for master dies, working hubs and was already in "pilot testing for production dies." " Single Squeeze Hubbing

https://conecaonline.org/so-just-wh...bbing-begin/
Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks PPorro I thought 89 was the last of the was. Thanks for the web site.
Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1986 seems to he the date, but for what coins? Because the 1995 LM, and 2009 Duke Ellington are serious doubling. Also seems alot of mint employees lost there jobs with the robots and new machines cutting back on labor costs.
Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey just wondering what causes the date 2020 and Trust to look like they are DD?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48693 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The date area: note the direction on the affected area? When metal moves towards the direction of the rim, that is DDD. Die Deterioration. Looking at the fields on this coin, it looks like a fresh die, but was recently polished. So die aging is happening. Just like the void created by a chip, the die wear is altering with fields. So when you see the outer devices distorting, then it is DDD. The field polishing hides the die wear, giving the a appearance of a new die. That is what you are seeing. Wrong location for a doubled die.
Richard S. Cooper

Edited by coop
02/23/2021 11:17 pm
Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  12:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Understood... Thank you coop.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 225Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05