Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1995 P Nickel Possible Error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 265Next Topic  

United States
12 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  3:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add comptech0408 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello forum!

Just a quick question. I know there was a big fuss over these a while ago, but I was sorting through my junk, and found these.

There looks to be a Crack at his rear going towards the S in States.

I know this is not a scratch, because I have 9 more that are exactly like this one.

Any information would be very much appreciated.
Thank you!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48693 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You mean 2005-P Nickel, right? Looks like someone plated it. Die crack, It looks like one, but need to be a bit closer to tell. Die cracks don't usually happen in an area like that?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
2881 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Appears to raised at this point--possible die crack. Consider posting new, sharper photos taken using diffused lighting (less glare). Thanks.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54577 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think Dr. coop calls it.

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
02/21/2021 4:17 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5539 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is definitely a die crack.Back in the day those were selling as a ** poor man's Speared Bison ** Speared Rump. I myself have sold well over a Dz. of them.It is a good one, save it.
to the Forum.
Edited by Chase007
02/21/2021 4:40 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37642 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Die scratch/gouge,that would be raised on the coin.Odd location for a die crack.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11360 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It appears to be a die crack, but an unusual one if so. Closer and clearer pics would help.
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

"If we continue to accumulate only power and not wisdom, we will surely destroy ourselves."
-Carl Sagan
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add comptech0408 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, here are some more photos, as requested, hopefully they help!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48693 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That makes more sense now. The die will break because of having to force more of the metal to the higher profiles of the design. Now I can see why the flexing of the die, would make is crack in that area. It didn't make sense, there, until I saw a different view.

The flex of the die, caused this die to crack.

What does a die crack look like?

Note on the image on the back left side? That is a die crack. The slight void of the die crack leave an open in on the die. A void on a die will leave a raised area on the coins struck by that die. Thus the raising of the affected area above even the highest device on the coin. This coin is showing how it raised above the design.

CoopHome : What does a die crack look like on the die?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Edited by coop
02/22/2021 1:30 pm
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add comptech0408 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So this would be considered a die crack?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48693 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes.
Richard S. Cooper

United States
12 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  11:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add comptech0408 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool. Do you think that are worth getting graded and slabbed? They aren't proofs, but they definitely haven't been in circulation at all. I have 10 total.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48693 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  07:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No. Not a premium coin. They are a die event coin. Hundreds of thousands of this coin would be struck from the same dies. Die events were common on this design. Probably because the design was not used a long time, to get the design strengthening. Just a short run for that part of that year. Slabs are used for higher dollar coins. People do it anyway, but the holders hold no extra value to a coin. If I buy one, I pay nothing extra for the coin. I've bought a stab 1945 cent for as low as $6 in a coin store that was BU. The cost of the grading fees way exceeded the amount he got back for the coin.
Richard S. Cooper

Pillar of the Community
United States
2881 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  07:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While not worth thousands of $$, there are some passionate die crack collectors who'd likely pay a few $$ for it. Check ebay for completed sales on the coin mentioned by Chase007 (above).
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 265Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05